108874 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Setting up XTerm ssession

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alex Hose
Advisor

Setting up XTerm ssession

How do we set up an XTerm session using the terminal emulations programs. I am trying to use Hummingbird Exceed. This application is looking for a start-up command to set up the session. Any information on this topic would be appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Re: Setting up XTerm ssession

From Exceed Window

Try the Exceed Client Wizard it'll setup the connection for you

Or use Exceed On-line help

Bruce Regittko_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

You should not have to do anything from the HP-UX side as long as the HP box is running CDE and it is on the network.

--Bruce
www.stratech.com/training
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor
Solution

Let me make a suggestion..if your trying to make a connection on a PC to HPUX using Exceed:
1. Click on Exceed
Click on Xconfig
Click on Communication
Set mode to XDMCP-query
Click on configure and put in the IP of the server
your trying to connect to.
2. Click on the Client Wizard
Make sure the IP is showing in the Host box.
Change Host Type to whatever you need.
On next screen, make sure Xterm is in first
or top box. Don't change anything else and
click next
Next box is for root login and password (I just
enter root...and enter password later)
Click next and on next screen put in a name
of what you want to call this connection in the
first box; check for a shortcut....
Click next click Finish
3. Go back and click on this icon to run it....it takes a minute, but it should connect you to your server and your PC will look like workstation.

/rcw
Alex Hose
Advisor

I am running Enblish non graphic runtime on the server. Do I have to install the CDE environment on the server ?

Not necessarily, but you will need to have an 'X' server of some sort running, and I doubt that the XDMCP approach will work in the non-graphic run-time environment.
Frederic Soriano
Honored Contributor

Absolutely, as you need the XDM server (dtlogin) and all CDE binaries/libraries/config files for Exceed to function correctly in XDMCP mode.

Best regards.

Fred.
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

From the core O/S CD you will need to install at least the X11 filesets to allow an XDMCP session (bare X session)

To be user friendly and for ease of setup my advise is to install the CDE Run-time Env for your chosen language.

It will by default start the required dtlogin daemon and install the required X11 filesets etc . It will also allow your users to have access to the CDE window manager.

NB you may encounter problems connecting to CDE due to fonts : check exceeds log file, if this is the case do a quick search on the forums for xfs and how to set it up .... X font server wrt PC Xemulation and dt-interace fonts .... good luck.