1759985 Members
2587 Online
108889 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: storage management server

manuj kumar
Frequent Advisor

storage management server

actually i have a limited nuing to thember of fiber channel Cards in my system. so i will use only one fc card with only one port installed in it, so that i will connect this management server to one of the two san switchs.

am i going in the right way ?

thanks
3 REPLIES 3
manuj kumar
Frequent Advisor

sorry for the mistake. this is the right post.
my system layout is--> 2 serviceguard hpux servers+EVA storage+2 hp san swtches for high availability.

actually i have a limited number of fiber channel Cards in my system. so i will use only one fc card with only one fc port installed in it, i will connect this management server to one of the two redandunt san switchs.

this can manage the storage as if it was connected to both fiber channel switches.?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Because yo9u have only one fiber port, there is no reason to use 2 SAN switches for redundancy. If your single fiber connection fails, the server will fail. You can connect most SAN switches together to form a single switch called a fabric. The Brocade switch terminology is ISL (inter-switch link). Don't connect the two switches together until your storage administrator has verified that the configurations will be compatible.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi
I assume that the Two HP servers that you are using in the SG Cluster has got the enough redundancy for the FC Cards via the two SAN Swithches. This is always required that for the 2 HP servers that will form the cluster nodes are having 2 FC Cards, 1 port per card,each card FC Connected to different SAN Switches.
As far as the SMS Server is concerned to manage and configure the storage this does not require an FC Redundancy so you can have this SMS server to have one FC card with 1 FC port and that Port connected to any of the two SAN Switches.
yes that you can do as long as you ensure the FC redundancy in the Cluster nodes.
regards
sujit