1758808 Members
3274 Online
108875 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Striping vg00 on HP-UX

ASOEASTGEOGRAPHY
Occasional Advisor

Striping vg00 on HP-UX

Ever heard of anyone striping the vg00 logical volumes on HP-UX, even though it is only possible at the extent-level?
Kristina(:)
6 REPLIES 6
Camel_1
Valued Contributor

Re: Striping vg00 on HP-UX

No, I think striping does require multiple disks, nowaday most of the server the VG00 is just reside on one disk (18/36GB).

Simon
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Don't think its possible / allowed for vg00. Not true striping for all lv in the vg00.

Regards
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It's not allowed because / , /stand & swap have to be contigous on the *same* disk.

But there is no requirement that the other filesystems (/var , /opt , /usr , /tmp , /home) *must* be in the vg00 volume group. They could be in a separate FS on a striped VG.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
sinhass
Regular Advisor

I tried long back on hpux 9.04. And it was possible . But can't say for 11.0 or 11i as I didn't try the same
-sinhass
Sundar_7
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Nope...You cannot stripe /stand, root and swap volumes. You could do on the other volumes though.

But its beyond my comprehension, why would u like to stripe VG00 ?

Sundar.
Learn What to do ,How to do and more importantly When to do ?
SureshKumar_2
Valued Contributor

Hi

/, /stand & swap should be in single PV.

But if u think for performance, u can have device swap on different PV. This will change the performance. (Adding device swap on same priority will certainly help you in Performace.)

Other FS, as what Jeff told it is not nessary to be in VG00, if u need in VG00 - you can go for Striping for theseee..

Things are very easy, when u know about it...