1754355 Members
4736 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Swinstall

Smirjit Singh
Advisor

Swinstall

By default most of HP applications install under /opt . Is it possible to change this destination dir from /opt to any different FS during installation time ? If so then how ?
Knowledge is only most valuable things which can't buy.
6 REPLIES 6
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi,

This type of situation used to come up all
the time when trying to load patches that
would normally have to loaded into /usr
What used to be done because you couldn't
just increase /usr with specific tools like
OnLineJFS was to create another filesystem
with a symbolic link. Now in answer to your
question, you cannot change the destination
of the software, but you could create another
filesystem as I've suggested above if you
know where the product is going to be
installed. For instance if you were going to
install glance, well this gets loaded into
/opt/perf/bin, so you could seemingly set
up a symbolic link from your new filesystem
to say /opt/perf. See this link on a similar
situation:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0xde7487dc4d7dd5118ff00090279cd0f9,00.html

Are you in a position to increase /opt ?
You would need to put the system into single
user mode to do this if you haven't got
OnLineJFS.

HTH
Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Smirjit Singh
Advisor

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. That I usually do increase /opt incase it get fulled by Online JFS or link any different FS under /opt. But I just wanted to know. I had just made a try & it worked. Like after executing swinstall I went action menu & changed target to /home/sandip dir. It installed properly that software but it created var & opt dir under /home/sandip & install that software /home/sandip/opt dir.. Ha ha ..
Carsten Krege
Honored Contributor

Hi Sandip,

you can only swinstall software to an "alternate root", like you already did (/home/sandip"). It is not possible to omit the directory paths of the files.

Carsten
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- HhGttG
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,
if you don't specify the target, by default sw will be installed in /opt. if you specified any target path, system will create opt under the target path and will install.
never give up
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi Sandip,

Symbolic link could be a solution to work arround increasing data into filesystem.

Magdi
Smirjit Singh
Advisor

Thanks to all whoever has replied. I know extending /opt file system by Online JFS product. I had done also linking different FS under opt to install any software. Today I tried to change the target path & it installed the software perfectly but it create var & opt dir under new target dir according to Ravi..

I just wanted to try in different way..

Thanks again for your immense help.