3331 Online
108830 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Syslog disk error messages

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim_Woods

Syslog disk error messages

I have an N4000 running 11.0 that is attached to an EMC CX400. We continually see events like the following in the syslog:

Jul 30 20:00:45 mfgpro EMS [2287]: ------ EMS Event Notification ------ Value: "SERIOUS (4)" for Resource:
"/storage/events/disks/default/0_4_0_0.1.0.0.0.0.0" (Threshold: >= " 3") Execute the following command to obtain event details: /opt/resmon/bin/resdata -R 149880842 -r /storage/events/disks/default/0_4_0_0.1.0.0.0.0.0 -n 149880925 -a

I've also attached the event detail log. I'll see this for many disks at a time, and not always the same ones, about once a day, sometimes more often but with no rhyme or reason that I can find.

The system runs fine, and we can access the disks with no problem. The only thing that seems to be an issue is all of the syslog entries.

My understanding is that this has been happening since the array was put in several yrs ago (we have no current EMC or HP support now unfortunately). The small amount of documentation I've been able to find seems to possibly point to a device driver issue, but I haven't been able to isolate it any more than that. I haven't been able to find any patches to address this either, but there could still be some out there.

Any ideas or help is appreciated. Thanks

Tim
4 REPLIES 4
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Syslog disk error messages

This definitely sounds like a driver issue. It sounds like this is a forgotten system (patches way out of date). I would download the latest HWE and QPK bundles:

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/releasePage.do?BC=main|releaseIndexPage|&releaseId=5013-2091

This is an ASAP task. 11.00 is out of support and HP has been removing unsupported software links much faster than in the past. Load the HWE package first, followed by the QPK bundle. Plan on about a day of downtime. Naturally, you must run an Ignite backup and a full filesystem backup first.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Andrew Merritt_2
Honored Contributor

Tim,
The main thing you need to do is update to the A.44.00 version of OnlineDiags (currently still available for download at http://www.software.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=B6191AAE
) and then install PHSS_34834 .

You're seeing a known problem where disk_em is monitoring DGC disk array LUNs, when it shouldn't be. Fixed in the A.44.00 version.

Andrew
Tim_Woods

I was finally able to install the patches this past Sunday, and the system has not shown any more of these events.
Thanks again.

Tim
Tim_Woods

Closing