Re: Thread Disappeared?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kimberly Ann
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi All,

Sorry I've been so tardy to reply. Many of you I see posting here are folks I've met in person or have communicated with in the forums or 'offline'. Obviously, the recent deletion of an off-topic thread was in no way meant as a large HP thumb held over the heads of the community.

We've had this discussion a few times in the past about off-topic threads with many of you weighing in. We agreed that this was not the place for off-topic posts or 'chat', we wanted to maintain the technical nature of this community, and in the end I certainly appreciated the support. At times this message is not heard by newbies or those that aren't 'aware'.

When threads are removed, a set of message guidelines are applied by the moderators. Please understand these folks are perusing the site to help keep it clean, civil, and sane while also helping out with questions. The intent is genuinely in support of the community, not against it. The goal is a better experience for everyone. The guidelines used are listed at http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#24 Luckily in the HP-UX space, it is rare that any of the guidelines are crossed over.

I understand there can be subjectivity to whether a post is either off-topic or related to IT but not technical. In the case of Ralphs's thread, I can see where the IT connection is made and it could have gone either way.

I've heard a couple lobby for an 'off-topic' area. If we were to create one, can we agree to keep it connected to the IT profession and this community (jobs, salary expectations, entreprenurial ventures, hobbies, etc.). Examples of not being connected are NHL hockey playoff results, aircraft carriers for sale, and halloween party photos.

Please let me know.

And Ralph, sorry your thread was removed.

Thanks,
Dan
Kimberly Ann
Honored Contributor

Wanted to comment back to Jeff, Steven, John, Michael, etc.....

Michael, the ordered list issue is being fixed now. If you click 'more...' at the end of any list in your profile you can find your entire list of questions, solutions, and replies ordered by most recent.

Ralph/Procura, lets look at creating an off-topic area here -- easy enough.

Jeff, the response you'll get from HP is from me...and again, sorry for being late to the party.

Steven, the moderation guidelines haven't changed in 3 years. The execution of those guidelines may have -- and I'll promise to address this with the team.

John C...agreed...and yes, this thread will stay. It has been good to read what is on your minds. Good list by the way....and some of you have my email...use it anytime.

Todd, my apologies for your messages being removed. Feel free to post again...they won't disappear this time.

Doug, this community is yours. The purpose is to provide you a peer-peer area for discussions in support of your IT environments. HP responds, but does not guarantee a response. Threads of this nature don't occur often.

John P...good idea about a 'warning' post.

Pete -- hey, there it is! I've always like the creativity in Harry's title, and I appreciated his and everyone's understanding.

Procura, agree with your reasoning.

Mehdi, due to the volume of messages posted monthly across all discussion areas, the moderators use their best judgement based on the guidelines mentioned in my previous post. Message removal is not common and the intent is to mantain the clarify of these forums and reduce the noise (as some have mentioned). Mehdi, I apologize that you are not better communicted to about your post removal.

All....again, I appreciate your understanding and support. I'll promise to make it a priority to address this with the moderators. Please feedback your thoughts on an 'off-topic' area and guidelines around what is acceptable to post there.

Thanks,
Dan
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi all,

well it seems like nobody wants to answer after Dan's reply.
Hey Ralph, I think his reply is worth 10 pts.

Dan, I think for an 'off-topic' area we should use the same guidelines except no.1:

1. Off-topic comments not related to a technical issue regarding an HP product or related business support issue.

Well no commercials.

I've no more ideas what could be bad, I hope a HP moderator will monitor this area, too, and will tell us what HP don't want to read.

Maybe we get an inspiration from Mount Olympus ;-))

Volkmar
*with 2 deleted threads*
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***