1755616 Members
3489 Online
108836 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ultrium and frecover

Dianne Johnson
Advisor

Ultrium and frecover

I've tried using the :/dev/rmt/xx syntax to attempt to read an fbackup tape, still can't sync it. It's a 230 on an A500 running 11.0. Are there any other suggestions? I need a trustworthy backup system.
Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The syntax: host:devicefile is only for remote HP-UX systems that can communicate with each other using remsh. That means that on the local system, as root you should be able to type the command:

remsh hostname

It should report the name of the remote system. If not, you don't have .rhosts setup on the remote system. Also, frecover only runs on HP-UX so if the remote system is some other OS, it won't work.

If the system wth the tape is HP-UX, try reading the table of contents with:

frecover -I - -f /dev/rmt/xx

If that works, the tape is fine.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dianne Johnson
Advisor

I tried the hostname as an apparent work-around for frecover not working on LTO drives.
Reading the index on the tape works fine, so the tape must be good. Using frecover to restore one file results in:
[root]:/usr/sbin$frecover -xov -f /dev/rmt/2m -i /opt/gp01/L07014/5070updt
frecover(2114): read error from input device (I/O error)
frecover(2114): read error from input device (Permission denied)
frecover(2113): unable to resync backup media
frecover(4301): /opt/gp01/L07014/5070updt not recovered from backup media

The config is 128 blocksperrecord, 128 checkpointfrequency, 4 readerprocess and 300 filespersm

Thoughts?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The I/O error indicates that the tape is damaged. The index is at the beginning of the tape so it's possible that the has a bad spot past that spot. I will assume that you ran frecover on the machine with the tape drive and not using the -f host:/dev/rmt/xx syntax.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Dianne,

have a look at

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x86a6ba808b46d611abda0090277a778c,00.html

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die