New Discussion юеВ

User session cant be killed

SOLVED
Go to solution
nibble
Super Advisor

User session cant be killed

hi guys,

i got this user who can be seen in "who -u" but cant be killed... how could i kill this user? when i kill his pid from "who -u", it says "no such process" and when i issue ps -ef|grep userA, it cant be seen..

help please
13 REPLIES 13
SS_6
Valued Contributor

Re: User session cant be killed

You may not have root permissions. Try killing it by "kill -9 userpid" You have to be root for this.
By providing solutions I am helping myself
nibble
Super Advisor

im root actually. again, with ps -ef, it cant be seen. but in who -u, it can be seen. aside from nulling /var/adm/wtmp, any other ways?
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

There is a patch for this. We used to have a lot of trouble before loading it. Please note the special instructions that must be followed. Unfortunately after installing it, your server will need to be rebooted.

PHNE_24829
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Nibble,

kill -9

regards
Mobeen
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

ps -uef user_name

kill the PIDs from the o/p of the above command.

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor

will the following help?

#fuser -k file_system

sks
A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

I would advise not to use fuser as it might kill other users' processes as well ..

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
nibble
Super Advisor

guys, thanks so much for your help, but we're getting farhter here. to clarify, heres the scene

# who -u |grep userA
userA pts/the Mar 15 11:17 18:58 7040 10.0.0.25

# kill -9 7040
kill: 7040: no such process

# ps -ef|grep userA
root 1768 28173 2 13:04:23 pts/tae 0:00 grep userA <--my search is only seen. the actualy login is not seen

# finger userA
Login name: userA (messages off) In real life:
Bldg:
Directory: Shell: /usr/bin/ksh
On since Mar 15 11:17:59 on pts/the from 10.0.0.25
19 hours Idle Time

i know 1 option is to null /var/adm/wtmp or /etc/utmp or reboot the machine. now, i dont want to truncate the entry of /var/adm/wtmp for audit purposes, much more rebooting the machine cns its prd.

any other ways?
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
If you know the tty of the user's process then you can use fuser -k on that particular tty.

Regards,
I'll sleep when i am dead.