108836 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ximian/GNOME on HP-UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul Winchcombe
Occasional Contributor

Ximian/GNOME on HP-UX

Does anybody have any news on the replacement for CDE? HP had a press release early this year
that said that the replacement would be bundled into a release of HPUX sometime in 2001.

I have an above average QI
8 REPLIES 8
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

Re: Ximian/GNOME on HP-UX

From "Linux World COnf & Expo" in NYC Feb 1 2001.

Quote ...
Feb. 1, 2001--Linux World--Hewlett-Packard Company (NYSE:HWP) today announced that it will ship the open source Ximian GNOME Desktop as the default desktop for HP-UX workstations after the release of HP-UX-11i.
Unquote ..
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor
Solution

The final release of the beta version was issued about a week ago, the official beta release should be available from here soon => http://www.hp.com/workstations/support/software/hpux/gnome/index.html

For more info, send a message to the '-request' address of
the list (for example, gnome_announcements-request@usel.fc.hp.com)
containing just the word 'help' in the message body, and an email
message will be sent to you with instructions.

If you have questions, problems, comments, etc, send them to
mailman-owner@usel.fc.hp.com.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

That was Feb., this is Nov. Any idea where it's at right now? I've checked the Ximian web site and still nothing listed for HP-UX.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Great info. Alex.
Thanks!!!!!!
(I wish I could assign you points) ;)
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

NB the email I 've given is for those of us testing the beta beta version, personally I'd await the official beta release , Chuck Slivkoff I'm sure posted something earlier this year calling for volunteers to test the beta beta version for want of something better to call it ...appologies Chuck if the above email info is for hp testers only
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Any recent word on this? The link to HPs software site that was given says something will be release end of Oct. or first part of Nov. This is now December and still nothing.

Any ideas on a date for this stuff?
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Patrick,

Appologies but no new news ..... the final pilot (internal) has been released but I wouldn't like to put a date on it's release to the public other than soon .... I'll make a post as soon as I hear otherwise / an official date
Neil Dixon
Advisor