1755130 Members
2767 Online
108830 Solutions
New Discussion

SAN Boot Disk goes offline after reboot

Pubalan-Shell
Occasional Advisor

SAN Boot Disk goes offline after reboot

I am unable to install the server 2016 image on the SAN boot disk due to a recurrent disk offline issue.

Hardware : Proliant DL380 Gen 9 with StoreFabric CN1100R Dual Port card

Storage Model : 3par 8400

We have the same storage working fine on 3 other servers

The disk goes into offline mode after each reboot. 

Troubleshooting done 

• Change the boot policy from offline to san policy=OnlineAll
  • attributes disk clear readonly on disk 0
  • Online the disk yet after reboot the disk goes to offline mode.

MON boot issue.png

7 REPLIES 7
shiva_jr
HPE Pro

Re: SAN Boot Disk goes offline after reboot

Hi @Pubalan-Shell,

Along with making SAN online, I got the detail to make disk online. Here it is-

1) Run the diskpart utility by running the command:
diskpart.exe

2) To display the SAN policy, run the command:
diskpart> sanSAN Policy: Offline Shared

3) Change the SAN policy to be online with the command:
diskpart> san policy=OnlineAllDiskpart successfully changed the SAN policy for the current operating system.

4) To get summary information about each disk, run the command:
diskpart>list diskDisk Status Size Free Dyn Gpt--------------- ------------------ ----------- ----------Disk 0 Online 40 GB 0 B*Disk 1 Offline 60 GB 1024 KB

5) Select Disk 1 (currently offline disk) with the command:
diskpart>select disk 1Disk 1 is now the selected disk

6) Clear the read-only attribute for Disk 1 with the command:
diskpart>attributes disk clear readonlydisk attributes cleared successfullydiskpart>attributes diskcurrent read-only state: noboot disk: nopagefile disk: nohibernation file disk: nocrashdump disk: noclustered disk: no

7) Bring Disk 1 online with the command:
diskpart>online diskdiskpart successfully onlined the selected disk

Regards,
Shiva_JR
I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Pubalan-Shell
Occasional Advisor

@shiva_jr 

Hi Shiva,

I have done this and not solving the issue. The disk will go offline after reboot once I have done this. 

shiva_jr
HPE Pro

Hi @Pubalan-Shell ,

You can ge an assist from HPE Support team.

Regards,
Shiva_JR

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

benkorton33
Occasional Visitor

I'm encountering the same issue with my SAN boot disk going offline after reboot. I'm also using a Proliant DL380 Gen 9 with a StoreFabric CN1100R Dual Port card and a 3par 8400 storage model. It's frustrating to see the disk consistently going offline despite troubleshooting steps like changing the capcut pro apk boot policy and clearing readonly attributes. It's perplexing especially considering that the same storage setup is working fine on three other servers. If anyone has insights or suggestions on how to resolve this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

shuff
Advisor

could be related to the FC HBA. There are known issues with certain HBA cards where only one port is displayed in the one-time boot menu, which could potentially cause issues with SAN boot configurations. You may want to check if your StoreFabric CN1100R Dual Port card is affected by this issue. If it is, you might need to adjust your network boot setup for the affected FC HBAs. see this advisory: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00134530en_us&docLocale=en_US

Pubalan-Shell
Occasional Advisor

Seems that this issue only affects Proliant Gen10 servers. Nevertheless, I have checked on Gen9 server and it shows empty without any card but I know for sure that the card is connected and the disk is available for use.  Same situation on 3 more servers where I don't see the card under PCIe Slot network boot but the disk is working as expected. 

Screenshot 2024-04-03 142932.png

shuff
Advisor

Fankly, I am out of ideas then. one random guess FWIW... https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=sd00003169en_us&page=GUID-24894714-B928-4068-8B34-F1DA7F606A00.html&docLocale=en_US says "If Manage boot settings is disabled, HPE OneView does not change the PXE boot mode or PXE boot policy."