Operating System - OpenVMS
1758065 Members
2866 Online
108867 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Apparently VMS isn't "Enterprise" according to it's owners...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

Re: Apparently VMS isn't "Enterprise" according to it's owners...

ON the Issue of VMS and DOD Security, Indeed, the C2 level was the default for VMS, and later versions of Windoze (post NT3.5).

Where VMS Stood out was a "product" known as SEVMS, which was a B1 level enhanced Secure system available from DEC.

Little known fact, but a prototype "A1" Secure OpenVMS was built, as I recall in ZKO, in the late 80's, early 90's. If my memory serves me, there are only 2 or 3 systems that every reached that standard. One, the Honeywell "SCOMP", was nicknamed the "brick" because it ran like one. A1VMS, as I recall, pulled about 40% of the CPU in Security Overheads, but it could be done.

Of course, the other major point that is lost from the original posting is "based on industry standards". Those of us with long memories, will recall when "Unix" communities tried to develop Unix accreditation standards to depolarize the varieties of Unixes out there... The first two O/S's to pass the Unix compatability test suite, were, as I recall OpenVMS and IBM MVS.

Why is it that the "industry" is suddenly "relearning" by divine inspiration, things that we determined by hard science over a decade ago.

q
Leave the Money on the Fridge.
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

Well said Peter!

Cheers,
Art
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

As of this morning, no reply from the BCS people on the mentioned article.

Dave...
Robert_Boyd
Respected Contributor

Isn't COBOL supposed to be extinct by now?

;-)
Master you were right about 1 thing -- the negotiations were SHORT!
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

Its been a week now since I sent my note to the BCS higher-ups. Still no response. This is the first time I've not heard back from them in a timely manner and I've sent several notes their way over the years.

Dave...
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

Just in case my first note had a problem of some sort (unreadable URL, etc) I sent another note to one of the BCS people a few minutes ago.

Dave...
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

Heard back from the BCS people. Their reply was that they were looking into the situation.

Dave...
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

I would expect the response from the BCS group will be their acronym minus the C.

:-)
Art
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

This sounds like it was right out of a "Gartner group" (partially owned by bill gates) "white paper".

I guess we can all thank HP for the time and money they spend being a camel for bill gates, the result being the numerous 'enterprise management solutions architectures' that have been foisted on customers regardless of their needs.
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
William Webb_2
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

it's nice to read sentences, which come also from my heart.

But I, sadly, may be a bit understand a bussiness reason of this choice.
Why to put VMS among enterprise, if it's rather expensive and so not selling.
Why to have high secure system, when then there will be almost no need for making security applications, wide sold and allways updated.
There might be many whys behind this decision. But, as I believe through many years, OpenVMS was and will be one of the best OS, even many people have been and are predicting it's extinction. (since ten years back, thats as far as I can remember)

Mike

Mike-

You'll be glad to know that you're wrong.

I can't release specifics but VMS is far from fading; in fact it's making inroads in places it hasn't been before (or at least for quite some time).

There are instances of companies migrating away from VMS (and spending a LOT of money to do so) and then returning because they couldn't stomach the decrease in reliability.