3140 Online
108828 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

GS80:MA8000 storage disk addition

Learn_1
Regular Advisor

GS80:MA8000 storage disk addition

HI all,
i am working on GS80 running VMS7.3-1.this is connected with MA8000 storage via FCHBAs accross SAN switches and HSZ80 controllers.today one of the data disk in MA8000 storage failed.these disks are 36G.B.i have deleted unit,deleted device then added new device,initialized and then created new device.now this disk is accessible at the storage console but system (VMS)is not recognizing this newly added device.
now can anybody tell me what is wrong and what is the exact procedure to add new device in MA8000 storage having HSZ80 controller if existing device fails.
i have tried mc sysman io autoconfigure
but still the same result.
waiting for ur suggestion.
4 REPLIES 4
Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Re: GS80:MA8000 storage disk addition

Hi ,

Not worked on HSZ , but can you see this device on console of system? Can you initialize this newly added device? Have you created the same unit no. for this new device ? What error are you getting on VMS ?

Thanks & regards,
Lokesh
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
├Еge R├╕nning
Trusted Contributor

If you are using FC based storage it's called HSG80 and not HSZ80. HSZ is SCSI based host connection, HSG is FC host connection.
Have you remembered to present this disk to the host with selectiv storage presentation on the HSG80?
To prevent nodes not in the same cluster to access disk and corrupt them each disk is presented to certain hosts on the HSG80.

SET unit-number ENABLE_ACCESS_PATH=connection-names
VMS Forever
Learn_1
Regular Advisor

Hi all,
Sorry for typo mistake.Its HSG80 controllers connected with the cluster system via Fiber Channel HBAs.one thing that lokesh mentioned is also happening that i am also unable to initialize the newly added disk.one thing that age ronning mentioned need some explaination of the following command.
SET unit-number ENABLE_ACCESS_PATH=connection-names

what exactly does connection-names mean.
this is a cluster system and both nodes are in the same cluster.unit-number will be the unit that we have just added.what will be the connection-name means.
is this possible that due to old firmware of HSG controller and newly added disk firmware there could be any problem.
if we have added the new disk then how can we make it useable to the system sothat system (both nodes)can see this newly added disk.if as i mentioned earlier i am unable to initialie the disk 2.
what could be the problem.
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

If you are using SSP (Selective Storage Presentattion) in your HSG, you will have the "Connections" listed in the HSG80 for your systems.

Take a look at another unit that this system is enabled to.
SHOW Dxx

You should see a section in the middle labeled ACCESS: that shows you who can see the unit. You need to make these match!

If you SHOW CONNECTION, you will see a list of the server paths that are seen by your storage controllers. For SSP, I rename these connections, and then enable the appropriate UNITS to these connections/paths.

you should have 4 paths from each alphaserver. 2 from the primary, and 2 from the secondary HBA.

Also, have you assigned a UNIT ID? If you use the /LOG switch on the IO AUTO, you will see if this is the case. It will tell you that it does not have an ID for the LUN that is enabled.

To summarize:

In the HSG look at the following
SHO Dxx
Verify
IDENTIFIER = {number}
ACCESS: {List of connections, ALL, or NONE}

On the server:
MC SYSMAN IO AUTO/LOG

VMS SAN mechanic