1755534 Members
4261 Online
108834 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Sybase Client for OpenVMS

Jaroslaw Tomkiewicz
Occasional Advisor

Sybase Client for OpenVMS

My customer I've recently started to support is still using HPOpenVMS with Sybase Client installed. In spite of the coming end of support of Sybase Client they were not able to migrate their database due to some organisational limitations.
My question is if we've any other customers world-wide with the same problem, and how we deal with it. I've heard that Bank of America is such customer but it may not be confirmed message.

Thanks in advance for any help
Jaroslaw
2 REPLIES 2
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

Re: Sybase Client for OpenVMS

I've recently ported the open source FreeTDS client libraries to VMS. See

www.freetds.org
sourceforge.net/projects/freetds

The package is not yet a 1.0 release and not yet a complete replacement for everything the Sybase clients do, but it's improving rapidly and already in pretty wide use on other platforms. Rumor has it Sybase themselves decided to use it for a Mac client rather than developing their own.

If you have your own C talent in house, this might be a good option now. In a year or two it will probably be a pretty good option even if you don't.
Jaroslaw Tomkiewicz
Occasional Advisor

Re: Sybase Client for OpenVMS

Craig,

thank you for your replay as well as web address, anyway my customer who uses this Sybase Client is mainly interested in giving them support in the future. Nowadays their client as well as database work fine, but they are affraid about the next months. If they upgrade their database it would be possilbe some problems arise and for a such case they want to prevent.
Anyway using new source code could be an issue to take into cosideration.

best regards

Jaroslaw