1756323 Members
3140 Online
108845 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Dvd writer 200e won't burn DVD+R's anymore

CA958850

Dvd writer 200e won't burn DVD+R's anymore

But my DVD writer 200e will burn +RW's just fine but not +R's anymore

I burned 3 +R Movie disks a few days ago that work fine in a DVD Player and can be read by 3 different PC's with DVD Readers. I also burned a +R Data Disk using RecordNow - works fine and can be read on any other PC's DVD Drive.

Now it will only burn +RW's.

Funny think is the +R's that the 200e burns will can also be read by the 200e itself - They just can't be read on anything else.

After 7 coasters and removal of any software that might conflict I tried a different brand of media - Still no luck.

Then I tried the external 200e on another PC - same results. It will read and write +RW's and +R's but the +R's can't be read on anything other than the 200e itself.

P.S. I can burn data CD's with no problem. They are readable in any PC.

I think the 200e is treating any DVD it burns as a +RW?

Any clues greatly appreciated. (I hope this ends up tin the right forum).

8 REPLIES 8
Jeff Rosen_1

Re: Dvd writer 200e won't burn DVD+R's anymore

Did you ever find out the solution?
Model:
HP DVD writer 300i (300n) with latest rom
I have almost the same problem:
I was able to burn dvd+r on my burner, now only dvd+rw. Then I can put the rw in my rom and burn it to a +r.
I am using dvdxcopy to do backups.
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Jeff
CA1118515
Advisor

Well from what i have understood of the problem i say that the problem is the firmware.
Explaining:
When the DVD200e camed out the media DVD+R had only 2.4x speed recording support.
After the release of the DVD300 series the media can record up to 4x.
The media you are buying is 4x speed writing, as so i recommend that you try to upgrade the Firmware to the latest revision, the unit will only write at 2.4 speed but recognised well all media.
Only a guess !!!
Mike Morgan_5

Sorry I can't help, but I just thought I'd let everyone know that I have the same problem with a 200j.
Karen McBride

I have a Sanyo DRW-500 Video recorder for my TV that is supposed to work like a VCR. I have had the same problem with it. I can record on RW+ and it works fine. If I record on a R+, I can only view the disc on the machine it was recorded on. I called the hotline on my owners manual and they told me that the + format was so new that many DVD players can't read that format. I don't know that I believe that because a friend just bought a brand new R+ burner for his computer and it will not read the R+ either, so their theory doesn't really hold water. It seems that it's a problem in general with the R+ format.
G. Kasper

Can't help, but I have the same problem. I used different kind of DVD brands (mostly from Platinum), all the same result: only +RW can be used on other DVD players. I also tried to upgrade to the latest firmware (for 4 speed DVD's), no improvement.
The only solution so far: just buy only +RW DVD's. To bad that HP hasn't solved this problem so far.
Jeff Rosen_1

The solution for my issue is as follows:
HP DLA MUST be uninstalled. disabling dla does not work. DLA must take priority during writing sessions and interferes with other drivers.

I keep a copy of the DLA file from the install CD on my hard drive so I can re-install it when I need to.
Why isn't there a standard for this yet?

Good Luck,
Jeff
G. Kasper

I never installed the DLA software. Now I tried to upgrade to version 1.72 of the firmware. In this case I had to install the HP software. After installing (without DLA) and upgrading to version 1.72, I tried to create another movie DVD+R, result: even the HP writer won't read this DVD.

PS I used Copy to DVD to burn the DVD. Also Windows XP identifies the writer as a 200j and as far as I can see I can't change this.
Fabio_58

I've the same problem with 200e (won't burn on DVD+R). I wrote to HP Technical Support but nobody solved this kind of problem.

The technical support think that's an hardware problem (laser diod) and told me that I've to send them my DVD writer.

Now the only problem is...my warranty is out of date!!!

GRRRRRRRRR!!!