3572 Online
108889 Solutions
New Discussion

DL360 G6 Server - Wierd Hard drive connector

Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

DL360 G6 Server - Wierd Hard drive connector

All,

I have a DL360 G6 server and have had a drive failure and here is the pic of the failed hard drive connector ( see pic 1 failed hard drive )

Details of the hard drive  :

DH072BB978 ( Model No)

430169-002

418371-B21

418398-001            Hot-Plug 72GB 3G 15K rpm, 2.5" SFF Dual-Port SAS hard drive

Anyone's seen such connector on the rear of the hard drive, I ask this because, replacement hard drives have a 4pin connector 

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360 G6 Server - Wierd Hard drive connector

Looks like just an edge of a circuit board with a few SMD components on the bottom to me... if it has actual connector surfaces (usually gold or zinc plated), they are probably for the HDD manufacturer's test equipment and not intended to be used normally.

The standard SAS connector is to the left of the red box you drew: it is very similar to the SATA power and data connectors, but integrated together. The SAS and SATA connectors are keyed in such a way that you can connect SATA disks to a SAS backplane if you choose to do so (you would of course lose the advanced SAS-only features), but not SAS disks to a SATA-only backplane/cables.

MK
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Re: DL360 G6 Server - Wierd Hard drive connector

Thanks for the reply, it is surprising how two servers can have exactly same kind of hard drives and the replacement hard drives are going with the four pins on the extreme right like a normal sas drives.
Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala