108813 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Hard-code MAC address on NIC in DL380 G6

SOLVED
Go to solution
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Hard-code MAC address on NIC in DL380 G6

We had a lightning strike take out the RAID controller on a DL380 G6 this weekend, and so we replaced the server with a spare.  The software on the server is licensed by MAC address and I have been told the vendor is difficult to deal with and could take a week to get a new license file generated.  I was thinking about grabbing the MAC from the old server and hard-coding it on the new server.  Does anyone know how to do this?  Can I use the GUI in Windows or is this something I have to do in the BIOS.  I see something called "Locally Administered Address" in the NIC GUI (it's an NC 382i NIC in WIndows 2003) - but I was not 100% sure if this was the same as MAC address, or at least a way to over-ride the MAC address.

Thanks

Nelson

2 REPLIES 2
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ouch,

you can set a software MAC inside Windows in the device manager - when I tried this many years ago it decreased performance quite a lot. Maybe it's better to try to do it via the NIC GUI instead (is that the HP Network Software or?)

I found this:

Locally Administered Address. Specifies the user-defined MAC Address of the adapter, which
overrides the burned-in MAC Address. This box is disabled if the selected adapter has been teamed.
o Default = Not Present
o Range = Value; Not Present

In this guide:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00846707/c00846707.pdf

So you should be good to go!
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  Turns out the vendor came back with a new license code within hours.  False alarm :)

As soon as I figure out these new boards, I will be sure to assign points.

Nelson