ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1759742 Members
4172 Online
108888 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How can I get status of NS204i-p through SNMP?

Jerry_Holzer
Regular Visitor

How can I get status of NS204i-p through SNMP?

I am basically pinging this subject again hoping to get some sort of response from the hive mind
Like a lot of others who have posted here before, I'm trying to figure out how to determine the status of the boot volume on my Gen10+ servers. I have a 
NS204i-p running ESXi and I can read SNMP parameter .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.1.2.23.2.2.0  but no matter what happens to the disk status this always comes back as "2".  It shouldn't be this hard, am I missing something? 

3 REPLIES 3
l_lang
Advisor

Hi,

have you verified if you can see the actual status of the device inside iLO? We had a similar problem with Gen11 Servers and the status inside iLO was unknown. We had to install the latest BIOS since there was a known issue which prevented the correct identification. SInce you are on Gen10+ this might not be your problem but could be worth a try.

Jerry_Holzer
Regular Visitor

The storage tab in iLO will tell me if the RAID volume is degraded, one of the members is offline/missing, or the rebuilding status in percent. I expect that SMART errors would also be reported because the Highpoint card this is based on supports SMART.

Interestingly enough,  I originally wanted to use a virtually identical Highpoint branded NVME raid card that was 1/4 the price of the NS2041-p, but even though that would successfully boot ESXi i could get absolutely no status in iLO from that no matter how hard I tried.chrome_2023-11-22_08-50-10.png

brave_2023-11-22_08-42-10.png

SydUmar_1
HPE Pro

Hello Jerry_Holzer,

For Gen10/Gen10 Plus servers SNMP traps are typically handled between HPE Agentless Management Service installed under the OS and iLO, although I believe there are some instances where iLO gets status directly from other devices such as network adapters and FC/FCoE devices.

In this case, HPE Agentless Management Service has a limitation with supporting SNMP traps for the NS204i-p Gen10+ NVME HW RAID Boot Controller and attached M.2 SSD devices. Since the NS204i-p is a NVMe HW RAID boot solution is a standalone PCIe adapter (which has a chip (ROC) that configures two M.2 NVMe DIMM's as logical drive (RAID 1)), HPE Agentless Management Service will report this logical drive (just like other PCIe direct attached NVMe) to iLO via cpqSePCIeDiskTable in cpqsteq.mib. However, due to limitation with ROC reporting of NVMe DIMM temperatures to HPE Agentless Management Service, AMS Snmp Trap support for NS204i-p has been removed with the recent SPP release (MIB OID: cpqSePCIeDiskTable in cpqstdeq.mib).

Although HPE Agentless Management Service currently lacks SNMP support for NS204i-p NVMe HW RAID boot solution. However, iLO will handle generating any needed SNMP Traps for the NS204i-p and attached M.2 NVME DIMM devices via RDE implementation. SNMP is limited to traps (not mibs). If you would want to poll it as it is you should consider using iLORest which leverages Redfish as solution.

A couple other possible workaround options below to get/monitor status of NS204i-p controller and attached NVME devices using either of following tools on affected Gen10 server configuration.

1) HPE RESTful Interface tool (ILOREST) Command line tool (Interactive or Scriptable Modes) for interacting with iLO RESTful interface. Latest version of the RESTful Interface Tool available at following link: http://www.hpe.com/servers/resttool

RESTful Interface Tool

Type: Utility - Tools
Version: 3.3.0.0 (29 Oct 2021)
Upgrade Requirement: Optional
Operating System(s): Microsoft Windows Server 2012
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Essentials
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
Microsoft Windows Server 2016
Microsoft Windows Server 2019

File name: ilorest-3.3.0.0-82.x86_64.msi (9.0 MB)
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_8f9ea775bf524e008a5ec25b2e#tab3

For more info on ILOREST Interactive or Scriptable modes, refer to RESTful Interface Tool 3.2.2 User Guide at following link. https://hewlettpackard.github.io/python-redfish-utility/#overview

See Quick Reference Table: Available scripts for Linux and Windows
Ex: Get_Embedded_Health.sh
Get_Embedded_Health.bat Retrieves the health information of the server.

2) For more info on other ILO Scripting and command line utilities, refer to "HPE iLO 5 Scripting and Command Line Guide" at following link. http://www.t-mash.ru/upload/iblock/029/029bd4ced55cc09d5b0e75ef993cdbf4.pdf

The HPE iLO Scripting and Command Line Guide describes the syntax and tools available to use iLO 5 through a command line or scripted interface. Sample XML scripts downloaded from the Hewlett Packard Enterprise website contain commands for all iLO firmware. Unless otherwise specified, the examples in this guide are for iLO 5 version 1.10 and later.

See Section 14 which describes the following scripting and command line tools: 14 Introduction
тАв HPQLOCFG.EXE
тАв LOCFG.PL
тАв HPONCFG.EXE
тАв SMASH CLP
тАв IPMI

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo