108901 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP ML350 Gen 9 Temp Sensor Error

SOLVED
Go to solution
ric_31
Regular Visitor

HP ML350 Gen 9 Temp Sensor Error

Hello! Would like to ask for help on our HP ML350 Gen 9.

For some reason temp sensor 8 is always reading 87-88C. The fans are always on max and then a shutdown command is sent to the OS or whatever is running at the time (including iLO and embedded software).

Unhelpfully, the logs just say thet the location is in 'system'.

We already did power drains and cold boots but the fans always ramp up right after POST and even in BIOS/System Utilities. Inlet temp is 30C.

We are using non-HPE drives and the BIOS is P92 v2.20. We are unable to update BIOS as the system shuts down. 2x Xeon E5-2620s are installed.

Even just the exact location of temp sensor 8 would be a big help.

Really hope this is not a dead system board.

5 REPLIES 5
Harshitha_K
HPE Pro

Re: HP ML350 Gen 9 Temp Sensor Error

Hi @ric_31 , 

Hope this helps,

Please verify the following.

1. Use the Thermal Configuration option from RBSU to select the fan cooling method for the system. Use this link to Change it to optimal Cooling
  2.  System Fans Run at a Higher Speed Than Expected when Running HPE Innovation Engine version is 1.5.2 (or Earlier). Make sure to use the version above 1.5.2
  3. Disable the intel turbo boost technology and Disable Processor Jitter Control. Refer this link to disable it
  4. Update the server with the latest bios and firmware.
  5. Verify that all air baffles and required blanks, such as processor heatsink blanks, power supply blanks, etc., are installed. 
  6. Verify that the correct processor heatsink is installed.
  7. Ensure that no third-party components are installed on the server. eg. HDDs, PCIe cards etc.
  8.  A hardware failure event or temperature event was not reported in the Integrated Management Log.

Thank you!

Please mark as 'Accepted solution' if my post worked.

I am an HPE Employee
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Accept or Kudo

ric_31
Regular Visitor

Hi Harshitha_K,

Thank you for your reply.

Aside from the BIOS/Firmware updates, we have tried all and the server is still shutting down due to thermal issues.

For the updates: Can you direct us to where we can get them? Would have to disable the themal shutdown option on the RBSU to get them installed in the system.

For the IML: We have a "Severity: Critical" alert that says "system shutdown initiated due to overheat condition". Above that is another system overheat warning that says temperature sensor 8 is 87C.

Sham82
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

Sensor 8 for ML350 Gen9 points to тАЬfront HDDтАЭ

Since you Mentioned that you are using NON-HPE Drives this could be the major reason.

Please find below document :

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=sf000042092en_us

Also , please check and update ILO Firmware, please find below document:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c04549574

We would recommend to use HPE recommended Drives as listed in the Quickspecs

https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/c04346270.html?jumpid=in_lit-psnow-red

Regards

HPE

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ric_31
Regular Visitor

Hello,

The senior tech updated the iLO Firmware over the weekend. The errors have stopped for now. We have been observing this for 2 days without problems.

Thank you very much for your help!

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @ric_31,

That's awesome! 

We are extremely glad to know the problem has been resolved. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo