New Discussion

HPE Smart Array P816i-a SR Gen10

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steelsky
Regular Visitor

HPE Smart Array P816i-a SR Gen10

Hi,

I have been asked to recycle 3 HP DL380 Gen 10 servers for a POC and I'm trying to create 2 arrays on them, one for OS and one for a block of storage.

On one server I'm seeing all the drives, one ons I'm only seeing the two smaller drives for the OS and on one I'm seeing a mix.

I have not worked with HPE hardware for a good while but I think it's related to mixed mode where it will take the drives that are currently not showing up to in the controller and will present them to the OS as raw devices.

Can someone tell me how to get the drives out of that mode so I can add them to an array?

HPE Part number of a drive that can't be added is: 872389-001

Kind regards,

Soren

9 REPLIES 9
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: HPE Smart Array P816i-a SR Gen10

Hello,

You can connect different types of drives to the controller, but when creating a RAID array all drives selected for creating the RAID array should be of the same type. Mixing drive types such as SAS, SATA, and SSDs in the same RAID array is not a permitted function.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Steelsky
Regular Visitor

@TVVJ I would still expect all the drives to show up so I could add them into arrays.

I suspect it's related to a Mixed Mode that might have been set so those drives are presented directly to the OS instead of being available to the RAID controller.

/Soren

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

The HPE Smart Array P816i-a SR Gen10 comes with mixed mode (supports both RAID and Pass thru) enabled by default, which cannot be disabled. Any drive connected to it is directly presented to the operating system. If you want to create an array out of the drives you can do so using Smart Storage Administrator. 

You can access SSA using Intelligent Provisioning (F10) during boot. Please refer below web-link:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=sd00001085en_us&page=SSA_accessing.html

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Steelsky
Regular Visitor

Hi,

My problem is still that I have a set of drives that do not show up in the internal tools, other drives do and I've shuffled so they can use the servers for the PoC they need.

I would like to know why those drives do not show up, maybe the answer is that they are of a type that can't be used in an array but only directly by the OS.

/Søren

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Is this the drive spare?  872389-001 HPE 960GB 12G SAS RI SFF SC DS SSD- these should be supported on a P816i-a SR Gen10 controller. 
Are these drives not detected on all the 3 servers? 
What is the drive spare which is seen by the controller? 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Steelsky
Regular Visitor

Hi,

The drives do not show up at all in the RAID controller, they spin up and the status light at the front turns yellow.

There are 21 drives in total and I've spread them evenly acrodd the 3 servers, rolled on the latest SPP and created arrays on the other drives so the guys have something they can install their PoC on.

I've asked them to let me know if the drives show up in the OS when they install them but otherwise I'm out of ideas.

/Søren

BPSingh
HPE Pro

How many drives out of the total 21 are undetected by the controller? 
Are all of these drives the same spare, specifically the 872389-001 HPE 960GB 12G SAS RI SFF SC DS SSD? 
Please provide the part number if there is a mix of drives installed.

I am an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
Steelsky
Regular Visitor

Hi,

When I read "spare" above I read it as hotspare not spare part, apologies

The 3 servers currently have 7 each of 872389-001 and none of those drives can be seen by the servers.

They also all have two sets of drives, one set as a 480GB mirror for OS and one as a set of either HDD or SSD as a Raid 5. All three servers have been through the latest SPP for Gen10 so they should be fully up to date with a currently supported firmware baseline.

/Søren   

BPSingh
HPE Pro
Solution

As per below link 872390-B21 is the option part of the drive. 

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=sd00003054en_us&page=GUID-140751AC-628E-466C-81C3-39CF76998325.html

Upon checking the server quickspecs, the option part is not listed.

https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/a00008180enw.pdf?jumpid=in_pdp-psnow-qs

Gen10 is not listed under "Server Gen Supported" on the provided web link below.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c03939448&page=GUID-41666B55-CAF4-4252-A3FF-2A686755CD53.html

I am an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo