2040 Online
108874 Solutions
New Discussion

ML 350 G6 with P410i controller, expand RAID 5 question

esantos999
Advisor

ML 350 G6 with P410i controller, expand RAID 5 question

Hi,

I have a ML 350 G6 with a P410i controller. I have 3x 300GB SAS DP HDD, I want to add another HDD and expand the existing RAID 5 and then expand my Windows drive. I don't have the BBCW on the controller, but I do have 256MB controller cache module.

Mu question is, do I need the battery to do the expansion? If the awnser is yes, is just a question of plug the battery and then add the HDD and expand the RAID?

Regards,
Edgar Santos
4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: ML 350 G6 with P410i controller, expand RAID 5 question

Hi,

BBWC is required for the following:

Online array expansion (with BBWC/FBWC upgrade)
Online Advanced Capacity Expansion (with BBWC/FBWC and Smart Array Advanced Pack upgrade)
Online logical drive extension (with BBWC/FBWC upgrade)
Online RAID level migration (with BBWC/FBWC upgrade)
Online strip size migration (with BBWC/FBWC upgrade)
Offline Mirror splitting and recombining (with BBWC/FBWC and Smart Array Advanced Pack upgrade)

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04111713.pdf

BBWC is preferred over a cache module because in the event of power failure, the data might be lost and array expansion/extension may fail.

You can try to expand/extend array with just cache module provided the ACU or SSA gives an option to do so.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

esantos999
Advisor

Hi,

For what I read on yout reply you say "you need the battery, but you can try without it and if it works it's OK". I'm right?

Regards,
Edgar Santos
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hello Edgar Santos,

I would say that the Cache module is necessary for all the actions that have been listed by Suman above and for the activity that you mentioned. BBWC - (battery backed write cache). Usually the cache module is powered either by a battery pack or flash capacitor module.

As cache module needs a battery to power it up in the event of power failure and thus save data, a cache module would be better off with a battery backup. But a battery by itself is not required for the array controller to perform the requested action, it is the cache module only. Hence as the cache module is complimented with battery pack, it usually goes with one. However, they are ordered with two different spare parts.

Hope this clarifies your query.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

esantos999
Advisor

Hi,

I have the server pluged to a UPS APC 1000 with an estimated 25 minutes of autonomy. We don't use to have power outages of so long, so I think I can expand the RAID volume with no problems.

Regards,
Edgar Santos