1846 Online
108872 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML350 G4 External Health LED

MrSonix
Occasional Visitor

ML350 G4 External Health LED

Hi Guys,

We picked up a ML350 for our office a year back and I had set it up and installed the OS and it was working fine.

It only had a 74gig HD and we intended to use it as a file server.

At the time we didn't quite need it so it was powered down and left.

I recently just picked up 5 146gig HD's to create the file server. I installed them and switched the server on.

The fan started up but the power LED goes Green and then off and the External Health LED is Red and stays on.

I looked it up and this is a Power supply issue? I'm a little surprised as it has been off for over a year

I removed the HD's and put it back to how it was, then tried a few different power leads.

I removed the PSU and tried it in the second bay and still nothing.

Can anyone help debug this problem? I can't see a PSU breaking while it was switched off.

I'm so disappointed as I'd be looking forward to getting it setup and running with the new drives.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

External Health LED represents Power Supply issues.

Have you tried using another known good PSU in the server?

If a known good PSU fails with external health led being red, then there could be issues with power source or even the power supply backplane.

On the actual power supply, there should be a led which represents power supply status.  If the led is off, it means No power or Inadequate power.  If Green then power is good.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

MrSonix
Occasional Visitor

Hi Sunman,

The LED on the power supply is indeed off. Unfortunley I do not have another to try.

I know an electronics engineer who could maybe take a look.

Still a mystery how it broke when the machine was off.

Thanks for the advice!