3883 Online
108901 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML370 G4 Unused Space

AreWhy
Advisor

ML370 G4 Unused Space

Hi,

I recently removed my 3x74GB SCSI hard drives and replaced them with 3x140GB SCSI HD. After the rebuilds, I now have 211GB of unused space on my Array A (Raid5) controller. There is 1 logical drive.

Apparently I can only create a second logical drive. Is this a wise move, or should I leave the space unallocated?

What is the prefered route, and why?

Thanks everyone.
3 REPLIES 3
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Re: ML370 G4 Unused Space

You could expand the array or create new space. On a server, I usually do one array = one logical drive. Prevents disk thrashing jumping between logical drives. One a SAN, I expand the array volume and create mulitple LUNs and logical drives.
AreWhy
Advisor

how can i expand the space (can i use hp config utility)? and what would be the benefit other than performance?
AreWhy
Advisor

nevermind found the feature to expand. but based on the numbers i provided. my current logical drive consists for 3x140gb scsi drives.

if i extend to the max which is allowable, my logical drive will now be 200016mb. and i will have 70556 remaining as unused. can i do anything with this?

also, how long should this take to extend? can i do it over night, or do this over a weekend?