1762896 Members
1806 Online
108909 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NVME riser for DL360 GEN 10

jim2k
Established Member

NVME riser for DL360 GEN 10

I'm trying to find a simple low profile (1u) secondary riser/M.2 NVMe adpater for my DL360 GEN 10. I want to use it as a boot drive for the box. I have a double 16x slot and to the left of it (facing front to back) is a single 16x slot. I assume the double is for a riser assembly, not sure what the single 16x is for. I'm also assuming these connections leverage the 2nd CPU which I have. I don't want an NVMe backplane or anything like that. I just want to be able to leverage the open slots on the motherboard to install an NVMe boot drive. It's next to impossible to find any information on this. I have the DL360 manual but that only talks about the NVMe backplane for use with the front panel drive slots which I don't want to do. Has anyone done this and if so what part number did you purcghase? 

6 REPLIES 6
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: NVME riser for DL360 GEN 10

Hello,

The HPE S100i Smart Array Controller supports the M.2 connectors on the optional SATA M.2 capable primary riser, whose option part number is "867978-B21".

You may consider using the HPE DL360 Gen10 x16/x16 SATA M.2 2280 Riser Kit, part number "867978-B21" as referred above.

Click here for information about the card from HPE PartSurfer. Click here for the link providing pictures of the part from HPE PartSurfer.

As per information on page 11 of HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen10 Server's QuickSpecs, the riser kit is installed in the primary riser. At page 56 of this document has the following:

"Notes: The DL360 SATA M.2 Riser Kit above is part of the Primary Riser so it will not take up a PCIe slot and will support up to two of the same 2280 M.2 media cards."

From the above note, there appears to be no use of any backplane or any cable connection. Apart from this information, I am not sure, if using this would require the installation of a backplane.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

jim2k
Established Member

@TVVJ Thank you for your response, Unfortunatley, my primary riser slot is already taken up. I have SLot 0 HPE Smart Array P4081-a SR Gen 10 and Slot 1 HPE Smart Array E208i-p SR Gen 10 in there. It does however have an 8x slot 2 PCIe thats open. My preference however was to use the secondary riser slot on the far left side next to the power supplies. So I need a 1u riser for that. Alternatively  If I can find an adapter card that leverages the 8x PCI slot 2 that's free on the primary riser then I would be fine with that but as I said, it not easy to fins any of those combination also I wonder if 8x would be fast enough. I want to use it as a boot drive but would prefer a 16x solution so it doesn't become  a bottle neck.

Tam92
HPE Pro

As stated in the last comment, You may consider using the HPE DL360 Gen10 x16/x16 SATA M.2 2280 Riser Kit, part number "867978-B21.

In order to use M.2 drives for boot, you need to use the M.2 enablement kit.

Thanks,
TAM

I am an HPE Employee
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Accept or Kudo

jim2k
Established Member

Hi Tam,

So can I use this riser in the secondary slot? As stated my primary is occupied. My assumption was that because it was considered a "primary riser" it could only be used in the primary slot. If that is not the case and I can use it in the secondary slot then this probably will work, Do you have a part number on the M.2 enablement kit for a DL360 Gen 10?

Tam92
HPE Pro

Hello,

The M.2 slot is included in the primary riser itself

The part number is 867978-B21.

Thanks,
TAM

I am an HPE Employee
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Accept or Kudo

support_s
System Recommended

Query: NVME riser for DL360 GEN 10

Hello,

Let us know if you were able to resolve the issue.

If you have no further query, and you are satisfied with the answer then kindly mark the topic as Solved so that it is helpful for all community members.

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo