108831 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Other devices in Windows 2008 Server Standard (R2) x32 on ProLiant DL180 G5

SOLVED
Go to solution
DFG_habco
Visitor

Other devices in Windows 2008 Server Standard (R2) x32 on ProLiant DL180 G5

Good morning!  We have a ProLiant DL180 G5 server running Windows 2008 Server Standard (32-bit).  Device Manager lists two "other devices": SM Bus Controller and an Unknown Device.

The "unknown device" has a hardware id of "ACPI\HPI0002".

The "SM Bus Controller" has a hardware id of "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2930&SUBSYS_31F4103C&REV_02".

I found out (through PCIDatabase.com) that the SM Bus Controller is an Intel ICH9 Family SMBus Controller.  Our server has Intel Xeon E5405 chipsets.

I have not been able to find the proper driver for the controller, either on HP's site or on Intel's.  I downloaded the Chipset Identification Utility, but it could not identify the chipset on our server.

What drivers do we need to install so these "other devices" will work properly?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Murali_V
HPE Pro

Hi,

Install Null Management INF drivers from link below to resolve this issue:

HP ProLiant 100 Series Servers Null Management INF Installer Smart Component for Microsoft Windows Server 2003/2008:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580698&prodNameId=3580699&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-b8943f6c78904e42a93d8e6848

Regards,

Murali Mohan

Was this post useful?

Accept or Kudo

DFG_habco
Visitor

Thank you very much!  Installing that driver solved the problem of the "Unknown Device".  Thank you!

The only other driver I need now is the "SM Bus Controller".  Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

By the way--is there any way to show a reply as a partial solution?

Murali_V
HPE Pro
Solution

I am glad to know that the issue resolved,

To resolve "SM Bus Controller" issue, Install chipset driver to resolve this issue.

You can find these drivers in Support CD that is shipped along with the server.

Refer HP ProLiant DL180 Generation 5 Server Software Configuration Guide:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01311211/c01311211.pdf

Refer Page number 28 тАЬSection 3. Completing the installation - Phase 1 - Installing the chipset driverтАЭ also install network and video drivers.

If the above did not resolve the issue try installing Intel INF update utility    

If the issue not resolvedright click on the SM Bus Controller and click properties and upload the screenshot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to assign points on this new forum? Click the Kudos Star!
Try HP Guided troubleshooting for ProLiant Servers at www.hp.com/support/hpgt

Was this post useful?

Accept or Kudo

DFG_habco
Visitor

Thank you very much, especially for giving me the proper links to the files to download.  Sometimes it's hard to know which ones are correct.

But you did something else.  You mentioned using the driver cd that came with the system.  The person who bought the server is no longer with us and, while I'm sure the cds are here, we'll probably only find them once we organize everything better.  What you did was not only tell me to use the cd, but you also gave me a link in case the cd wasn't available.  You really went out of your way to solve my problem, and I am extremely grateful. You, sir, are the best.

Thank you very much!

Murali_V
HPE Pro

You are most welcome.

Was this post useful?

Accept or Kudo