1758663 Members
2166 Online
108874 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: P440 Replacement - Encryption

Motlive
Occasional Advisor

P440 Replacement - Encryption

I recently had a P440 die on me. I've replaced it but found that the system states "Logical Drive 1 is offline. Encryption is turned off for the encrypted volume." After a bit of a panic I discovered that when the server was built it was done so with encryption, but thankfully the master key and password were retained. 

When going to the Encryption Manager there doens't appear to be an option to add the keys, I can "Perform Initial Setup" however this asks for a "New Password". 

Thinking I need to enter in the saved password and master key onto this page and it'll start working, but also don't want to do something wrong and lose all the data! 

6 REPLIES 6
Motlive
Occasional Advisor

Sorry to push, server is still down and don't want to enter anything incorrectly that could lose the data.

pchops
HPE Pro

Your safest bet is to open a support case. If this is not an option, you might want to review the "HPE Smart Array SR Secure Encryption Installation and User Guide", particularly the "Maintenance" and "Troubleshooting" sections.

I work for HPE
Motlive
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I read the documentation, but it isn't definitive. Ideally would like to know the process step-by-step - we really don't want to erase all the data on the disks due to a mismanged/incorrectly followed process.

pchops
HPE Pro

In that case, I would recommend opening a support case.

I work for HPE
Motlive
Occasional Advisor

That is pretty disappointing to be honest. 

I appreciate this is a public forum and help may not be available, but what you're saying is that there is no documentation on the process to replace a smart-array and re-import the encryption keys. All my efforst to google for the answer have comeup empty. 

In contrast, Dell have a clear knowledgebase article which details the step by step instructions to get the encryption keys re-added.

pchops
HPE Pro

I did not state that there is no documentation on the process. I provided a link to the documentation, which outlines the procedures to follow when replacing a controller. However, if you feel the documentation is not sufficient, or unclear, I would encourage you to send your feedback regarding this to the documentation folks at "docsfeedback@hpe.com" and include said link (or document title and/or part number). If you are not comfortable with performing the steps in the manual, and the data is critical, or you are not confident with the backups of said data, I would strongly encourage you to open a support case so that the folks with the necessary expertise can properly assist you.

I work for HPE