1755889 Members
3758 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion

ProLiant DL580 G2 PCI video card problems

werewolf159
Occasional Advisor

Re: ProLiant DL580 G2 PCI video card problems

I cannot remove the SmartArray controller because it is embedded. Anyway dual video output seems to be a problem, which is present on some (or all) ProLiant servers which have PCI-X slots. Proliant DL385 G1 also had this problem but they fixed it in the latest bios rev. The difference from my DL580 G2 is that my videocard doesn't work in either of the slots.

@DL385 system ROM revision history wrote:
Version: 2006.03.01  (28 Mar 2006)       Fixes  
HP ProLiant DL385 system ROM A05 (03/01/2006)
Resolved an issue where POST may hang if multiple video adapters (or a single multi-headed video adapter) are installed. The problem is dependent on what expansion slots the cards are plugged into.

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Can you disable the SA in the BIOS setup?

Just to check, if there's some conflicts.

Curious: Why do you want another video card in the server?

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

werewolf159
Occasional Advisor

I cannot; I can only switch IRQs but cannot disable. 8mbytes of vram is not always enough, some applications I run require a bit more to work faster and more efficiently. Around 32 or max. 64 mbytes would be perfect.

werewolf159
Occasional Advisor

So any news? I still want this to work. I just don't get it: if the fix was done already to DL385 G1 server's BIOS, why is it so difficult to port it to this server? (they are all uniformized after all, maybe little changes would be needed to work)

I don't care if they officially don't support this particular PCI video card, just make the fix for the bios so dual headed VGAs can work. Until then it is impossible to have ANY video card working in the server since most of them are dual headed.

And a question: Does the server boot if I plug only one RAM in it (BANK A, DIMM1)? Or it HAS to be at least four DIMMs of identical size and speed?

Another one: Does the server support PC2100 or PC3200 DDR RAM? I often see sellers advertising PC2100 as compatible with DL580 G2, whereas the product guide mentions only PC1600. The problem with PC1600 is that it is very rare in my country, it is much easier to fetch PC2100s for example.