ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1754407 Members
3150 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Replace Assigned Harddisk

ordint

Replace Assigned Harddisk

Hi all, i am sorry in advance if my question is already in this forum, but i haven't got the answer. So here is the case i faced.

I have a server with 2 Harddisk 300GB (RAID 0) with Centos for the operating system. Is it OK if i take out both of the harddisk,. and replace with another two then I install, let's say, Windows Server inside?

Are both harddisk (the one with Centos and the other with Windows) will be fine? or any step that I have to do in case i would like to do this?

Many thanks in advance, need some advice.

1 REPLY 1
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Replace Assigned Harddisk

@ordint wrote:

Hi all, i am sorry in advance if my question is already in this forum, but i haven't got the answer. So here is the case i faced.

I have a server with 2 Harddisk 300GB (RAID 0) with Centos for the operating system. Is it OK if i take out both of the harddisk,. and replace with another two then I install, let's say, Windows Server inside?

Are both harddisk (the one with Centos and the other with Windows) will be fine? or any step that I have to do in case i would like to do this?

Many thanks in advance, need some advice.

The RAID information is stored on all disks.  If you properly shut down the system before removing the disks the data will be preserved.  Once you install the new disks, create the RAID and install the OS, you should be able to switch between disk sets (properly shutting down between drive swaps).   What generation server are you working with?  Gen8 and earlier the above will work. Gen9 and newer will still work, but boot entries are handled differently

Anytime you mess around with drives, make sure you have a valid backup of the data

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!