3527 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ubuntu server installation problem with HBA Mode

askarik
Occasional Collector

Ubuntu server installation problem with HBA Mode

Before installation I set the HBA mode of HP Smart Array P822 controller
I want to make a software raid in Ubuntu server 22 04, I calmly start from a bootable flash drive, set the necessary partitions on the system disks and add them to the software raid, after clicking install, the installation went through and asks at the end of everything to remove the USB flash drive from the server
It reboots and nothing happens, the system is not installed
Maybe someone has encountered this problem?

9 REPLIES 9
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Ubuntu server installation problem with HBA Mode

Hello,

The driver of the controller might be necessary for the operating system to detect the logical drive created on the hard drive.

Driver for HPE Smart Array P822 Controller.

The drivers are available only for Red Hat Enterprise Linux and for SUSE Linux.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

What is the server model that you are looking to install Ubuntu 22.04 on?

Please refer below web-link:

https://techlibrary.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/exceptions/ubuntu_exceptions.aspx

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
askarik
Occasional Collector

Hello, version server HP Gen8 DL380p

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Please find the Minimum Supported Ubuntu version mentioned against DL380p Gen8 on the web-link:

https://techlibrary.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/exceptions/ubuntu_exceptions.aspx

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
askarik
Occasional Collector

can you please explain in more detail what it means, I am only a beginner in this field? it turns out I can only install Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 12.04? what is it connected with?

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

Certainly, your server is compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 and Ubuntu 12.04 versions.

Ubuntu server 22 04 is unsupported. 

I am an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
askarik
Occasional Collector

ok, i updated my raid controller in intelligent provisioning then tried to install 14.04 and i again have "Non system disk" not booting....
I read on different sources that RAID controller does not support booting from its disks in HBA mode
then how can i install Ubuntu with software raid? i will be very grateful if you can explain or give me an idea

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

As per your notes earlier, I understand that at the end of the installation it does aks you to remove the USB flash drive from the server and after reboot the server doesn't boot to the OS. 

Since you have configured the the controller in HBA mode, the drives would be pass thru to the OS. Have you tried installing the OS on one of the drives (without selecting the software RAID option) and checked the result? 

If the issue persists, then for testing, install any other supported OS and check the outcome.

I am an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
askarik
Occasional Collector

@BPSingh 

Okay. I did this : took out all disks physically and left one, then started installing Ubuntu via flash drive and as you said "without software raid" I complied. But even after that i have no system booting.
I read in one of the articles that Raid Controller in HBA mode does not see my disks, and it was suggested to put an SD card and on it create a boot partition /boot and try to boot from it and already in the system itself to create a software raid on the disks. Can this help?