ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1758373 Members
2750 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unable to boot from HDD or Internal USB.

GioSomma
Occasional Advisor

Unable to boot from HDD or Internal USB.

I want to install Debian on a DL380 G8 server in a test environment.
At boot, with F5 and F10 I arrive at a completely black graphic screen and the mouse arrow, but without anything else. To exit I was forced to brutally shut down the server.
With F8 I tried to create a logical drive in RAID1 on the first two HDDs, but I get the error:

• A fatal error has occurred
  • Command: 51
  • SCSI Status : 0000
  • Command Status: 0004

When installing the OS I get the error "Non-System disk or disk error appears" using a single HDD, two HDDs in Mirroring ZFS or using a USB stick on the motherboard.

BIOS version is P70 05/24/2019,

6 REPLIES 6
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Unable to boot from HDD or Internal USB.

Hello,

You may clear the server's NVRAM and check if you are able to access Intelligent Provisioning.

To do so, the server needs to be powered on with the System Maintenance Switch position 'S6' to "On" position, and after a POST message indicates that a system maintenance switch is turned on, to reverse the switch position. You may perform the following to achieve this:

1. Refer to item number 23 of the diagram titled "System board components" on page 14 of the HPE ProLiant DL380p Gen8 Server's User Guide for the position of the system maintenance.
  2. Power off the server and remove the power cable from the power supplies and remove the access panel.
  3. Identify the system maintenance switch in the manner aforesaid and set switch 'S6' from its default position of "Off" to "On".
  4. Replace the access panel and connect the power cables to the power supplies and power on the server.
  5. When a message indicates that a system maintenance switch is turned on and needs to be turned off, then power off the server.
  6. Remove the power cables from the power supplies.
  7. Remove the access panel and reverse the switch 'S6' from position "On" to its default position "Off".
  8. Replace the access panel, connect the power cables to the power supplies and power on the server.

Then, during POST prompt, press the key 'F10' to launch Intelligent Provisioning. There select Smart Storage Administrator and re-configure the array and re-install the operating system.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

GioSomma
Occasional Advisor

It did not work.
I followed the instructions, but after turning the server back on the second time and pressing F10 it appears in succession (as before):

• a white graphical screen with the HP logo at the top left and a scroll bar in the center;
  • a black screen with the HP logo in the center and a small scroll bar below;
  • a list of commands quickly scrolls on the text screen;
  • a black graphic page with the mouse.

Having reached this point and waited 5 minutes, if I lightly press the power button the mouse arrow turns into an X, but nothing changes on the screen.
To turn off the server I have to long press the power button.

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hello,

As Intellignet Provisioning is not responding, one way out is to flash it with the Intelligent Provisioning Recovery Media. You may perform the following steps:

• Download the "Intelligent Provisioning Recovery Media".
  • You may either attach the ISO media using the iLO Virtual Drive and boot the server from it or use the "USB Key Utility For Windows" to copy the Intelligent Provisioning recovery media to a USB memory key, attach the USB memory key to the server and boot from it.
  • To boot from either the iLO Virtual Drive or from USB memory key, restart the server and during POST prompt press the key 'F11' to launch the POST One Time Boot menu. Here select the iLO Virtual Drive or the USB memory key to boot the server from the Intelligent Provisioning Recovery Media.
  • To attach the Intelligent Provisioning ISO Recovery Media to the iLO Virtual Media, on a supported browser for iLO 4, enter the IP address of the server's iLO, proceed to login to its web interface (https://<iLO host name or IP address>). Login with administrator privilege credentials (recommended). On the "ILO Overview" page, next to 'Integrated Remote Console', select any of the remote console options. Click on the icon of Virtual Media > Virtual CD/DVD-ROM and add the ISO image.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

GioSomma
Occasional Advisor

@TVVJ I finally see something, thanks.

Now it tells me that there are no Logical Disks because they are all in HBA mode.
From what I understand it is correct if I want to use a different File System (I will use ZFS), but at least one HDD will have to be accessible to boot.
Or two to have mirroring and then configured to boot with a Debian / Promox installation..
However, I can't find a place where I can configure it.
Where can I find the documentation

Mr_Techie
Frequent Advisor

@GioSomma wrote:

@TVVJ I finally see something, thanks.

Now it tells me that there are no Logical Disks because they are all in HBA mode.
From what I understand it is correct if I want to use a different File System (I will use ZFS), but at least one HDD will have to be accessible to boot.
Or two to have mirroring and then configured to boot with a Debian / Promox installation..
However, I can't find a place where I can configure it.
Where can I find the documentation

@GioSomma 

It looks your DL380 G8 server is currently configured in HBA (Host Bus Adapter) mode, which essentially means that the RAID functionality is disabled, and the individual hard drives are presented directly to the operating system without any RAID configuration.

If you want to configure RAID (e.g., for mirroring) or change the disk configuration, you'll need to access the RAID controller configuration utility during the server's boot process. Typically, this involves pressing a specific key combination (e.g., F8) when prompted during the server's boot sequence.

I will try to find some general steps and post here.

Mr_Techie
Frequent Advisor

@GioSomma  

Give it a try to below ones: 

Firstly try Restart the server,and then Enter RAID Configuration Utility.

Within the RAID configuration utility, you should be able to create RAID arrays (e.g., RAID 1 for mirroring) using the available hard drives. Once you've configured the RAID arrays to your satisfaction, save the changes and exit the RAID configuration utility. Server will reboot after this

After configuring the RAID arrays, you should be able to proceed with installing the operating system (Debian/Proxmox) onto the RAID array. During the installation process, the RAID array should be detected as a single logical disk.

I hope this will help you. Please do let me know