ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1755727 Members
2982 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Interact with ILO without a network connection?

SOLVED
Go to solution
BetaPsi_
Advisor

Interact with ILO without a network connection?

Hello!

I have an HP ML115 G5 with an ILO 100c at a remote office. The ILO card no longer has an IP presence on the network. I can remote into the server's operating system perfectly (SBS 2008). What I'd like to do is somehow check the settings on the ILO card from within the operating system. Is this possible?

I've looked through the 100c manual and see that there is a way to direct the serial port on the server to be an interface with the ILO. I might have to get a serial to USB cable, plug both ends into the server and use that as a way of interacting with the ILO in cases such as these.

In the end, I may have to have someone plug in a portable Lantronix KVM switch into the machine to check out the ILO's settings in the BIOS. Ironic that I need a KVM device to fix the KVM device. Ah, the joys of remote support. =)

Thanks for your help,
3 REPLIES 3
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Interact with ILO without a network connection?

look for the C:\Program Files\HP\hponcfg directory
look at "hponcfg.exe /?"
"hponcfg.exe /reset" resets the ilo to factory-default.

the hponcfg utility (part of PSP) can query the ILO (to HTML-file and also modify settings using an XML-file as input.

xml-examples at :
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/lights-out/us/download/20110.html

BetaPsi_
Advisor

Thanks Pieter 't Hart!

I was unaware of the existence of the "Proliant Support Pack". I'm doing research on it now and will look into deploying it to my SBS 2008 machine. All of the benefits of the PSP seem to be a great boon to my work.

I had someone at the remote office simply unplug the network cable and plug it back in and now it works fine. However, the PSP's tools and the knowledge about how to manage the ILO from the OS will be very valuable. Thanks again!
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

I'm glad my post was helpfull. thanks for the points.

regards,
Pieter