ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1754354 Members
4834 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML370, Smart Array 431 Drive Moving

CA1215587

Proliant ML370, Smart Array 431 Drive Moving

I have a Proliant ML370 with a Smart Array 431 controller. I added new drives a couple of months ago and use Portlock Storage Manager to move the data from the old array to the new array. I then removed the old array from the cage and restarted the server with the new array. Everything seems fine, but now if I shutdown the server, it cannot find the boot partition. I have to boot it with a floppy disk.

I believe the problem to be that the new array drives are in slots 3,4 and 5 in the cage and not in slots 1,2 and 3. When I run fdisk, it cannot find the drives.

My question: Can I down the server and just move the drives to the first three locations in the cage without screwing up my server?

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

431 support roaming - do all of them at same time. if you still have old array - you can start over, just make sure create System Partition on the New Drives and after use them as slave array; move data and move them instead initial array. you need to cycle up server at least one time before you add future array as slave (B). Other Way with two Controllers and temp cage connected to is, just play with first boot cntrl
CA1215587

So, (just for clarification), I can power down the server and move the three new drives back to slots 1,2 and 3 then power the server up and everything will be ok? I don't have the old drives anymore, they were surplused.

Thanks again!
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Roaming supported under assumption that your system is healthy
If system comes every time normally with cold boot, there should be not Problem.
Otherwise you need to fix System Partition