1754404 Members
3331 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Serial port

Madhanarakesh
Occasional Contributor

Serial port

As a new bee to hp  prolient server please help me how to access the direct serial using clp

2 REPLIES 2
Vinky_99
Esteemed Contributor

@Madhanarakesh 

Good day!

Accessing the serial port on an HP ProLiant server using the Command Line Interface (CLI) can be done for various purposes such as configuring BIOS settings, viewing system logs, or troubleshooting hardware issues.

Here are the steps to access the serial port using the CLI:

1. First, make sure you have a physical connection to the server's serial port. You will need a serial cable and a computer with a serial port or a USB-to-Serial adapter.

2. Physically connect one end of the serial cable to the server's serial port (usually labeled as "COM1" or "Serial Port 1").
Connect the other end to your computer or terminal device.

3. On your computer, open a terminal emulation program like PuTTY (for Windows) or Minicom (for Linux).

>> Configure the terminal emulation program to use the correct serial port (e.g., COM1 for Windows or /dev/ttyS0 for Linux) and set the baud rate to match the server's serial port settings (typically 9600 baud).

4. Ensure the HP ProLiant server is powered on or rebooted if necessary.

5. In the terminal emulation program, you should see the server's output, including the BIOS POST (Power-On Self-Test) messages.
>> To access the server's CLI interface or BIOS settings, follow the on-screen instructions. This may involve pressing a specific key (e.g., F9 for BIOS setup, F10 for Intelligent Provisioning) during the boot process.

6. Depending on the purpose of accessing the serial console, you'll need to navigate through menus or enter commands as needed.
>> For server management tasks, you might be using utilities like iLO (Integrated Lights-Out) or Intelligent Provisioning, which have their own command structures.

7. When you're done with your tasks, exit the CLI interface or BIOS settings and gracefully power off the server if needed.

Remember that specific steps may vary depending on your server model and the firmware version it's running. Consult the server's documentation and user manuals for detailed instructions, and be cautious when making changes in the BIOS or system settings, as incorrect settings can impact server operation.

It's also worth noting that some HP ProLiant servers offer remote management capabilities through tools like iLO, which allow you to access and manage the server remotely over the network without the need for a physical serial connection.

Hope this helps! Let me know...

These are my opinions so use it at your own risk.
Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Madhanarakesh,

Let us know if you were able to resolve the issue.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with the answer then kindly mark the topic as Solved so that it is helpful for all community members.

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo