Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1755618 Members
3538 Online
108836 Solutions
New Discussion

HPSIM 7.2 - Agent questions, SNMP Question, no hardware communication.

phoenix_Rising
Occasional Contributor

HPSIM 7.2 - Agent questions, SNMP Question, no hardware communication.

Hi guys,

I've recently installed HPSIM 7.2 on a blade and have had UNTOLD issues with it....Our company had previously attempted to install it twice across all of the physical servers over the last 6 years... So i've got old SNMP settings on the servers and agents and providers on old versions and in varying states...

1) I've configured the SNMP service (not the trap service - Do i need it?) on my windows 2003 and 2008  clients with a READ only public string, localhost ip address and the ip of the SIM server... however the servers in SIM are showing varying degree's of communicating with SNMP. 

Server 1 - Does not show SNMP is installed at all!

Server 2 - Has the SNMP icon and no hardware information from the sensors

Server 3 - Had the SNMP icon and has managed to pull all of the hardware info through SNMP

Why is this?

2) Some of my servers have WBEM installed and again they should various states of communiation through it.

Server 1 - Does not show WBEM  is installed at all!

Server 2 - Has the WBEM icon and no hardware information from the sensors

Server 3 - Had the WBEM icon and has managed to pull all of the hardware info through SNMP

What can i do do remediate this?

Is it best practive to REMOVE All WBEM\Providers and then try and push them out through SIM to the servers fresh or to install them locally (manully) via the proliant start pack?

Can i have SNMP & WBEM pulling info at the same time. Or does having WBEM installed cancel out SNMP?

Can anyone confirm what 2003\2008 packages i need to have installed to focus on getting basic HARDWARE monitoring installed?! Am i right in thinking:

1) SNMP string configured

2) Windows Fondation Server Agents installed

3) Windows Server agents installed.

4) WBEM providers installed?

Will those 4 things get my real time hardware monitoring?

Any info would be legendary guys!!

Im completely stuck :(

1 REPLY 1
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: HPSIM 7.2 - Agent questions, SNMP Question, no hardware communication.

Hello phoenix,

That's a lot of questions. Let me answer some questions for you. You would need snmp trap to receive snmp traps when you get a hardware event. Otherwise you don' t get an event in sim just a status change in the view. When you use 2008 server it is recommended to use wbem instead of snmp. When you use wbem you should subscribe to wbem events. This is configured in sim by a repair. For a repair you first need a trust with the servers you want to monitor.

The first thing i would do is create a trust for your servers. You can do this a repair with windows credentials. When you have a trust you can replicate the settings of one server to an other server or set of servers. So first fix one server with the same snmp or wbem settings. You can also install the latest wbem agent with the repair option.

When you've done the thing discribed above let us know in this forum. If you need more information just let me know if you want to know where you find the options i discribed.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew