3770 Online
108888 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPSIM V5.3 to V6.2 upgrade confusion

Richard Munn
Frequent Advisor

HPSIM V5.3 to V6.2 upgrade confusion

I need some advice on how to upgrade HPSIM to V6.2

I have a CMS which is currently running Windows 2008R2 (hence is 64 bit), uses an Oracle 11G data base and runs HPSIM V5.3SP2.

About a year ago we tried an upgrade to V6.0 and found all sorts of problems with it but it looks like it might be more stable and we really need to upgrade it. We have a lot of systems (over 4000 and growing) so using full 64 bit is a must and we have tons of memory for HPSIM to use. V5.3 runs OK but it seems to be suffering a bit, I suspect because it's 32bit тАУ it does seem to get memory starved at times.

I see from the install guide I can go direct from V5.3 to V6.2. I expect this will fail since, as we found last time, HPSIM did not like Oracle 11G (or more specifically JBoss did not like it.) even though V5.3 is quite happy with it. We needed to hack the JBoss persistence and set hibernate.dialect to Oracle10g to fool it into thinking it's talking to Oracle 10 then it worked fine apart from functional bugs in HPSIM, that is.

The 64 bit update I'm confused about however. From my reading, there are references to data migration. The utilities used for this, mxexport/mximport, only work for SQL Server databases. It seems to talk about transferring to a newly built 64bit system or upgrading an existing one from 32 to 64 (hence reload the OS).

However, if just upgrading an existing CMS, will the install procedure convert it to 64bit automatically or leave it as 32bit? If I need to start from scratch, is there anyway to export and import the current configuration if mxexport/mximport will not work?

I thought another way around this might be to use other mx utes like mxnode, mxtask etc. to copy the existing setting to XML file then import them into V6.2. With this many hosts being monitored I really donтАЩt want to hit a brick wall half through an upgrade with no easy way out.

Anyone got any clues here?
2 REPLIES 2
shocko
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I found all 'upgrade' paths from 5.3 to 6.2 had major issues. I ended up doing a clean install of 6.2 on my windows 2008 x64 with sql express 2008 x64. I then used the mx* commands to export as much info as possible from 5.3 to xml files. I then tried strauight inports. In cases where the import of the xml data filed, i created a similar group/node/object in 6.2 and then exported it to xml. examinin g the difference in the xml tags i was able to them modify the xml files generated by 5.3 and import most of my data.

Note: One thing i leanred, any custiom groups i now add to SIM i preface with "My - " or the like. This makes distinguishing your customizations very easy when looking at large XML files :)
If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Newton S
Frequent Advisor

Oracle 11G is not a supported database yet. it is expected to support from next version of SIM i.e V6.3
mxexport/mximport is the right way to migrate HP SIM, but this is not supported for Oracle DB, supports only SQL DB.

Upgrading to V6.2 will convert the SIM from 32bit to 64bit automatically (if the underlying OS is 64bit)

So, you may try an in place upgrade to V6.2 and follow the workaround u did before to make the 11G look like 10G (i have never tried anything around SIM V6.2 & oracle 11G)