1754988 Members
3347 Online
108828 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Initial PSP Deployment and MxFailedAuthenticationException

Dean Simiana
Advisor

Initial PSP Deployment and MxFailedAuthenticationException

I know there have been some posts here previously about problems with the initial PSP deployment and OpenSSH. I have had a look at these and progressed each time, however I am still having problems.
What I have done:
I have run mkpasswd for the AD Domain accounts for the service account & my user account that I loginto HPSIM and AD.
I also ran mkgroup for the Domain.
I can connect to the management server using PUTTY and SSH and can also connect running ssh from the OpenSSH/bin on the CMS server. (Using all of the acounts that I added.)
I can even run the setupc command ok from within a SSH sessoin.
When I try to schedule the Initial PSP task, it returns with the following:

Running tool Run Remote Deployment Utility with job id 41892.
Task Name :defRunNowTaskId_1082617156160_1
Job ID :41892
Tool Name :Run Remote Deployment Utility
Job State :Failed
User Name :A1\Dean.Simiana
Execute As User :A1\Dean.Simiana
Start Time :Thursday, 22 April 2004 16:59:16
End Time :Thursday, 22 April 2004 16:59:18
Elapsed Time :2 seconds 140 milliseconds
Node :sydmanage.a1.asic.gov.au
Exit Code :0
STDOUT :

EXCEPTION CLASS :
com.hp.mx.exceptions.MxFailedAuthenticationException
EXCEPTION :
Authentication failed.

Any ideas please???
9 REPLIES 9
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Initial PSP Deployment and MxFailedAuthenticationException

The authentication being referred to is the hpSIM application calling the local SSH. Try using 'mxagentconfig' against the local system to place a key from hpSIM into your local SSH store.
Ronald Kowalka
Advisor

HP SIM CMS uses it's own ssh client. "Authentication Failed" indicates the public key added to the HP SIM known_hosts file (located in \Systems Insight Manager\config\sshtools\ is mismatched with the key that was returned when the task was run.

You should do the following steps to correct this.
1. Go to All Systems, find the node in question, click the blue link for the device and the properties page will appear.
2. Does the SSH protocol show up? If so, then at one point HP SIM correctly identified the protocol.
3. Go to ..\\Systems Insight Manager\config\sshtools\ and open the known_hosts file - I found wordpad is easiest. You now need to find the IP, DNS name, and DNS fully qualified name of the device - use edit/find - and delete all instances of this device (I have found a max of three entries). Save the file.
4. Find the device in the system list of HP SIM. Highlight the row.
5. Look again at the properties file for the device and review protocols - it might say for SSH - undefined - because it is not in the known_hosts file - good.
6. Go to Options-->Discovery-->Identify Systems and run the identification. It might take a little while. After awhile, SSH should now show up in the properties for this device.
7. Now try the Initial Proliant Support Pack install.

The issue here is that the public key in the HP SIM known_hosts file is not the same one currently being used by the remote system. Re-running Identify uses the HP SIM ssh client to try to log into the remote system which will re-populate the HP SIM known_hosts file with the current key.

If the initial Server Authentication is successful, the next test is if the CMS user (On Windows the user Administrator is always used by HP SIM) is authorized by the remote system by checking the passwd file. It then looks in /.ssh/authorized_keys2 for the HP SIM CMS key. If the passwd entry is incorrect, a "denied access" reply is given. If the entry in the authorized_keys2 file is incorrect, you will also see "Authentication failed" message. To fix this one, go to the /administrator/.ssh directory on the remote system and either delete the authorized_keys2 file or delete just the key listed for the CMS. If this is done, then you need to go to the HP SIM CMS, open a command window and run: mxagentconfig -a -n -u -p . This will add the key back into the /administrator/.ssh/authorized_key2 file.

Possibly lots of steps - but it should work using the above. The idea is that both ends need to be in sysc.

rk
Dean Simiana
Advisor

Thanks for both of those replies. I did have that problem earlier on, however when I ran the mxagentconfig and installed the key for the local SIM, I was then able to connect to the SIM with SSH. Unfortunately this does not resolve the porblem though.
The target node does not have SSH installed on it, and is a Windows 2000 server, which I did not mention in my original post.
I also presume that the SIM system can connect to utself ok with ssh, as I can do so from the command line on that server using the OpenSSH ssh program.
I have cleared out the known_hosts and re-added the SSH keys, and have not had any luck.
I have also attached a text file that is an extract of the mx.log from the SIM server showing some more detail that I cannot quite interpret. I believe that there may be some problem still in the way that the SIM is SSH'ing itself, but I do not know where/why.
(ignore the password XXX in the file. I have stripped out the real password.)
Ronald Kowalka
Advisor

It is necessary fot the target to have SSH installed. Once installed, you can run mxagentconfig against it as I noted in my earlier post.

From a command window on the CMS, using ssh to connect to a remote system only verifies if the remote system has an operating SSH Server, and not if HP SIM can connect to it.
rk
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

I hate to correct Ron, but this is a very important point:

THE INITIAL PSP INSTALL IS SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO LAND THE RIGHT STUFF AT A REMOTE NODE AND DOES NOT ASSUME ANY PRE-REQUISITES.

When run, the Initial PSP Install lets you select the correct Support Pack out of the Repository and prompts for Windows OS credentials to validate against when connecting with the remote node.

The remote node does not have to have anything running on it except Windows.

The steps of the Initial PSP Install are:

- Within hpSIM you select the target node(s)
- Select the Repository
- Provide Windows login credentials for the remote node(s), either a standalone system or domain/AD account
- hpSIM copies to a temporary location the selected PSP out of the repository
- hpSIM uses SSH with itself to spawn a command line to execute
- the command line that is executed calls the CLI part of the ProLiant Support Pack Remote Deployment Utility, SETUPC.EXE
- it passes the arguments supplied in the third step above and iterates for each node in the target list

That is, if the following are selected:

- Targets of NODE01, NODE02, NODE03
- A PSP with the XML control file of BP000001.XML
- A login/pw combination of MYDOMAIN\ADMINISTRATOR and SECRETPASS

...it will cause hpSIM to call OpenSSH on its own system and will pass the following:

SETUPC.EXE /t NODE01 /user:MYDOMAIN\ADMINISTRATOR /passwd SECRETPASS BP000001.XML
SETUPC.EXE /t NODE02 /user:MYDOMAIN\ADMINISTRATOR /passwd SECRETPASS BP000001.XML
SETUPC.EXE /t NODE03 /user:MYDOMAIN\ADMINISTRATOR /passwd SECRETPASS BP000001.XML

Note that it calls OpenSSH 3 times as it iterates through the node list.

OpenSSH does NOT have to be on the remote node. OpenSSH has to be on the hpSIM server and has to accept a key from hpSIM when it is called.
Ronald Kowalka
Advisor

The reply I gave above is actually correct for running mxagentconfig, in that OpenSSH needs to be installed on the remote system for the command to work. I was not referring to an installation of the Initial Support Pack.

rk
Dean Simiana
Advisor

As I mentioned originally, my problem is with the Initial deployment process as described by David. The problem I appear to be having is with the ssh'ing of the CMS to itself to call the setupc process. I still have not progressed from the original point as I have added the CMS SSH key to itself (using mxagentconfig), and can infact ssh to itself using a ssh client. It is only SIM that has problems. I did try to reset it by clearing the known_hosts file and runing mxagentconfig again, but this does not appear to help. SIM has identified that ssh is installed as a management protocol.
None of the other ssh type commands work either, such as netstat.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Dean,
Check that the local Administrator Account is in the passwd file.
If not, use the mx commands to add it. I reinstalled OpenSSH here and that was not in and I had the same issue as you, things like netstat didn't work.

Also, try logging into IM using teh account IM was installed under (if it was different) and try running the commands there.

Also, to test OpenSSH, you can try logging in to OpenSSH using either the SSH client or putty, that might identify the OpenSSH issue.
Dean Simiana
Advisor

Rob,
Thanks for those suggestions.
I did not have the local Administrator account liusted in the SSH passwd file. The Serive account and my personal account were there. I addded Administrator and the Netstat type commands then worked. However the Initial PSP deployment did not.
After logging into SIM as the Service account, I was able to deploy the PSP's.
Hopefully HP will correct this or post a way to make it work for other accounts, or possibly I have not configured the security correctly in the SIM suff...
Thanks,
Dean.