1754320 Members
2754 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

DL345 Gen10 Plus GPU install

gabrielgbs97
Occasional Collector

DL345 Gen10 Plus GPU install

We had an HP RTX A5000 lying around, and we would test some VDI workload with it. The card actually works and tested on a workstation. But we cannot get it to work in our DL345 server, the card does not power on (fan not spinning). GPU is not detected by OS (ESXi). We have Max Perf Fan Kit and HPE ProLiant DL345 Gen10 Plus GPU Power Cable Kit. We are following the installation procedure in the user guide (primary riser and secondary riser positions). Tried several BIOS configurations but still no luck.

There is still a 6-pin power connector attached to the primary riser, is this connector usable as other DL servers do? Is this connector meant for power output, or maybe input power to PCIe lanes?

Any hint would be well received.

EDIT: it was a power issue because HPE cables limit power because they come from 4p motherboard propietary conenctors (DL345 g10+ has 2, 75w each). They lack a sensor pin in final PCIe connector. That's why you use 2x HPE GPU cables, and 1Y connector (2x6pf-1x8pm), you need to drive power from both motherboard connectors to single final 8-pin PCIe:

mobo mini-4p #1 --> (HPE GPU cable #1) -- [6p(male)] --> [6p(fem)#1]--.
                                                                        \
                                                                         *--[8p(male)]=> GPU
mobo mini-4p #2 --> (HPE GPU CABLE #2) -- [6p(male)] --> [6p(fem)#2]--../

8 REPLIES 8
support_s
System Recommended

Query: DL345 Gen10 Plus GPU install

System recommended content:

1. HPE ProLiant DL345 Gen10 Plus Server User Guide | Installing an accelerator or GPU

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Re: DL345 Gen10 Plus GPU install

Greetings!

From the  server quickspecs, RTX A5000 isnt listed under supported option. 
https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/a50002557enw.pdf 

Also HPE ProLiant DL345 Gen10 Plus GPU Power Cable Kit P38663-B21
Notes:This cable kit is required when Nvidia A10 graphics accelerator is selected 

The power connector on the primary riser seems to be the AUX power connector 

https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/a00043229enw?jumpid=in_lit-psnow-red  

The GPU in question is unsupported/untested, so a little difficult to comment on its functionality. Also please be informed that, unsupported third party components may cause damage to the server. Ideally GPU card should be able to draw power from the riser.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
gabrielgbs97
Occasional Collector

@BPSingh 

So I understand that I may draw power directly from AUX power connector on riser to GPU?

(Or the riser itself needs power input in AUX connector? Need clarification on that...)

Thanks in advance

BPSingh
HPE Pro

As per link below, power cables seems to be connecting to the system board.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00112941en_us&docLocale=en_US&page=GUID-EC5AE539-0596-47B7-B277-7F5FF19D316F.html
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00112942en_us&docLocale=en_US&page=GUID-370315DC-FC2F-4D11-B2FF-A531E0979E05.html

As mentioned earlier, the GPU that is mentioned above is unsupported/untested. It can damage the server/its components. HPE does not recommend using unsupported/3rd party components in the server.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Snowcrash
Occasional Visitor

Hi, we have the exact same server and trying to connect the exact same GPU. Power was connected - I can see 12v on the 8 pin connector.

But I have the same problem - A5000 does not spin up and shows on iLO as Unknown.

Did you manage to solve this and have the GPU work?

Thanks

gabrielgbs97
Occasional Collector

Hi, yes I managed to solve it. The main problem is that HPE's Power cable misses a PIN. That pin should be short with GND and tells the GPU that a full connector is in place (so GPU knows there is enough power to draw). This is the case for consumer GPUs, server GPU may ignore this. I managed to power it with an extra dual 6 pin female to 'full' 8 pin male (or Y cable Dual 6 Pin Female to 8 Pin Male)

I use both GPU power cables from HPE kit to balance power drawn from each. I tested each 12V and GND from both GPU cables on motherboard and they are short (on same rail). Now at the end 8 pin, it has all pins populated and GPU turns on with no issues. In theory Y cable would not be necessary, but I prefer to balance amperage from both cables because we put this adapter. You could also make a custom cable if you have the tools. Be aware how HPE GPU power is connected to 6-pin female adapter, check layout of each connector matches.

Snowcrash
Occasional Visitor

OK, Everything works

I had the Y-Cable, I saw each 8Pin is connected to 2 pins of the J70 connector. Far too little for 150W.

So I turned the cut and soldered the Y-Cable into a single cable using all 4 wires on the connector. Hurt a bit to cut this pretty expensive cable..

Thanks!

gabrielgbs97
Occasional Collector

That's why you use 2x HPE GPU cables, and 1 Y connector, you need to drive power from both motherboard connectors to single final 8-pin PCIe:

mobo mini-4p #1 --> (HPE GPU cable #1) -- [6p(male)] --> [6p(fem)#1]--.
                                                                        \
                                                                         *--[8p(male)]=> GPU
mobo mini-4p #2 --> (HPE GPU CABLE #2) -- [6p(male)] --> [6p(fem)#2]--../