StoreEver Tape Storage
1760558 Members
2990 Online
108894 Solutions
New Discussion

Lost an LTFS Volume. looking for possibilities to recover data.

HKPune
Occasional Visitor

Lost an LTFS Volume. looking for possibilities to recover data.

I am using an Hpe LTO 6250 drive connected to mac os 10.11.6 using HPE LTFS 3.4.2.

I have archived an tape about an year ago and kept in shelf. Recently tried to mount the tape to restore some data from it using a different HPE 6250 drive and HPE LTFS 3.2.0 it said "mounting is failed; index xml pcdata parser is failed". Then I went to know that this tape is written using HPE LTFS 3.4.2, So I reinstalled the version and tried but the result is same.

1st error image 

Then I tried "ltfsck --full-recovery" it took some time and by the time it completes it showed me that the tape is consistent. Then it mounted what I found is 50% of the data is there and the rest restored to lostandfound folder in 512kb blocks in a inaccessible format. So I tried to get the rollback points and it shows the current point as 43rd generation and the the same eror "index xml pcdata parser failed; can not find roll back points". It is even failed when I gave the command "ltfsck -g 42 -k 0 " with the same error. I don't have a 2nd backup for this file. Can anyone help me with this?

full recovery and rollback info