1755174 Members
3376 Online
108830 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SQL backup failure to encrypted share on HPESO

MihirP1129
Occasional Contributor

SQL backup failure to encrypted share on HPESO

We use LiteSpeed to backup the SQL databases to flat file and dump it to a UNC share. We're trying to backup it up to a encrypted CIFS share on HPE StoreOnce 5100, but it fails everytime. And when looking at the error on the StoreOnce, we see the following error:

"[ssid1] : Write operation on encrypted share SQLBackups failed due to full RAM disk cache"

During the backup process, this is the only job that is running to the storage.

However, when backing up on a NON-encrypted share, backup jobs are successful.

Any idea how we could resolve this as we would like to keep the encryption enabled at the storage? 

6 REPLIES 6
MihirP1129
Occasional Contributor

Re: SQL backup failure to encrypted share on HPESO

Does one has any idea what could be causing this issue? I have a case open with HP, but not having any luck with support as of now and trying to get it escalated. 

LUAP
Occasional Collector

Did you ever get an answer to this ?  I'm hitting same problem with encrypted NFS share.

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @LUAP,

Can you please provide more details of the issue specifically you are facing. Also please include the StoreOnce system mode and the version of OS.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

LUAP
Occasional Collector

@sbhat09 

Attempting to write a 50GB file to a an encrypted NFS share on a VSA 4.3.2 with 31GB RAM 1TB data store (4TB licence with encryption) fails after copying ~10GB.  Looking at event log I see тАЬwrite operation on encrypted share XXXXXXX failed due to full RAM disk cacheтАЭ I canтАЩt find any documentation that mentions any restrictions or limitations with encrypted shares and this post was the only similar issue I found.

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @LUAP,

Thanks for the details. Please initiate the above mentioned backup. While the backup is in progress, check the RAM utilization (In the gui dashboard, reports -> resources). Hope there is no issue with the validity of the license.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

LUAP
Occasional Collector

before starting run, SO shows 31% RAM utilisation, Whilst running file copy to NFS share this increases to around 40% 

All other resources seem fine as is the licence (base + 4TB capacity + encryption)

Using an otherwise identical share without encryption enabled I can write a 50GB file without any issues.