StoreOnce Backup Storage
1755103 Members
4354 Online
108829 Solutions
New Discussion

StoreOnce 5660 - how many Catalyst Stores (best practise)?

lradzki
Occasional Contributor

StoreOnce 5660 - how many Catalyst Stores (best practise)?

Hello,

I have a question - I didn't find any information about best practise for number of Catalyst Stores. We have StoreOnce 5660 in maximum configuration (1PB). It will store only backups of Windows VMs - each VM has 10 vmdk disks. We are planning to create only one Catalyst Store, because we have only one type of OS and data to backup, but what is the best practise for such environment?

Thank you in advance for help.

7 REPLIES 7
neutral
HPE Pro

Re: StoreOnce 5660 - how many Catalyst Stores (best practise)?

Hello @lradzki,

You can either create a single Catalyst Store or multiple Catalyst Stores based on your requirements.

- If you are looking for storage utilization then create a single Catalyst Store and backup the VM files.

- If you want to backup VM files for later administrative tasks such as (replication, cloud backup, etc) then create multiple Catalyst Stores according to the administrative tasks, separate the VM files respectively, and take backup.

Looking at your query, creating one Catalyst Store should be feasible.

Here is the StoreOnce Catalyst Best Practices Document Link - https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=sd00001777en_us&page=mod_so_catalyst_best_practices_20160418.html

Thanks & Regards,

Ashik N S

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I am an HPE Employee
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Accept or Kudo

lradzki
Occasional Contributor

Hello@neutral ,

Thank you for your answer! I saw this document but thank you for linking.

Do you know what about the number of streams in such a configuration if we have 8 virtual machines with 10 VMDK disks each? Can StoreOnce 5660 handle this number of streams?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Cali
Honored Contributor

Hi,

if you scroll down the QuickSpecs (https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/c04328820.html) to Page 30, it say 1024 Streams.

If you use Veeam, set "Use per-VM backup files" to ON and Uncheck the “Limit maximum concurrent tasks” (default=4), or set an appropriate value to limit the resources used by a specific BR.

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
lradzki
Occasional Contributor

Hello @Cali , 

Thank you for your confirmation - I think it is as you wrote.

yilmazaydin
Frequent Advisor

Hi. I'll put my five cents in the piggy bank.

In addition to the backup process, there are service processes on the device - cleaning outdated data - HouseKeeping, for example. This is a very important process that requires the system resources of the device. I will note the recommendations for this process in the document -  https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=sd00003761en_us&page=Housekeeping_best_practices.html
In practice, it is better to have 3-5 Catalyst Stores in order to fully utilize the potential of the StoreOnce device than to use one huge Catalyst Store with limitations.

My advice is to read the best practices section in full and form a comprehensive opinion on this matter - https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=sd00003761en_us&page=GUID-2E622833-CD04-405B-9A77-83935E71F7C2.html.

YA. 

lradzki
Occasional Contributor

Hello @yilmazaydin,

Thank you, that's correct. I know about Housekeeping but in our case, backup will be done at night, so after that StoreOnce will have all day to clean outdated data. From my point of view it should be ok to have one Catalyst Store.

yilmazaydin
Frequent Advisor

@lradzki , in your case i would recommend using a backup policy in which a full backup of each VM is created on a separate day, if possible.

This will allow to delete data on the StoreOnce device more evenly after the expiration of the protection period of full copies - the device does not like mass deletion of data when using a single storage.

YA.