Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1754324 Members
2890 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: changing vlan1 to anything else

ron snyder_2

changing vlan1 to anything else

It's been recommended to me by a number of different consultants that we NOT use vlan 1 for anything due to the many types of equipment that come with that as the default.

Unfortunately, that knowledge did not come to us before we deployed a switch 5308xl with all the ports configured to be untagged in vlan 1. This switch is in a datacenter FAR away, and I have no out-of-band ability to communicate with it.

I haven't been able to find the magic words to switch all the ports and ip address over to a different vlan number. Can anybody point me to some resources that will help me out?
3 REPLIES 3
Sergej Gurenko
Trusted Contributor

Looks like you have no VLANs deployed in you data-center. In case you have ONLY one VLAN in switch (e.g. Default VLAN #1) there is no difference what number it is. All the choices have same security.
Hugo Tigre
Trusted Contributor

the first resource u should read is the 5308 advance trafic manual, youl'l find everething you need to know in there.

But i didn't understand if you want to configure more vlans or not.

if u don't, than it's just like Sergej Gurenko said.

if u do, i think the best practice is first document the changes, than create the vlans u need in yout switch, and finally choose a time of low network usage to pass the ports in your default vlan to your desired vlan(s).

u can still leave a port in the default vlan for managment in case something goes wrong, and if u want to increasse security u can configure that port for management only by you personal computer.

regards,
hugo
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

Whatever you do, dont unassign the uplink port that you access remotely via IP until you have another IP accessible as well :p