4897 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 3PAR CPG Issue - Copy Space At Warning Level

GeorgeG10
Occasional Visitor

3PAR CPG Issue - Copy Space At Warning Level

Hi All,

I am having an issue with a CPG in my 3PAR system and it shows its state as Degraded.

I can see an informational alert "CPG FC**** SD and/or user space has reached allocation warning of 1.229e+04G"

In the CPG State Description it says Copy Space At Warning Level.

I can see in the VVs that a few of them have Reserved Copy Size enabled but we don't know if there are any benefits on that or if this is causing the above issue.

Can you advise on the above?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
StorageMike
HPE Pro

Hi

Do you have any growth alerts setup on your CGP?  If you run a compact cgp it will probably clear the error.  Read the CLI guide because if you do have growth alerts they probably aren't working as you expect.

Thanks

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

GeorgeG10
Occasional Visitor

Thank you Mike! I am attaching you a screenshot of the CPG Details if there is a way to figure out if we have what you mentioned.

We ran Compact CPG before but it did not clear the error.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

You do have a Growth Warning set.

Someone set the system to let you know when the CPG exceeds 12,288 GiB. It has. It can continue to grow another 3,540 GiB.

Then you will be out of FC space.

Time to consider adding more disks. Or time for your system admins to do "spring cleaning" of their systems. Or both.

Look at the technical paper "HP 3PAR Thin Technologies" (search Google for document# 4AA3-8987ENW) for information on Thin Technologies in general, and Appendix B, thin reclamation methods for your operating systems in particular.

Once reclamation methods have been done on the OS file systems, try the compactcpg again.

Or raise the Growth Warning value of the CPG.

Note: While I work for HP, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! "White Star" !

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

StorageMike
HPE Pro

As Sheldon says you have a growth warning setup.  I'd look to remove this it probably isn't doing what you expect, you can do this via right clicking and editing the CPG. That and these alerts are being removed soon

From CLI Ref guide 3.2.1 page 99 - createcpg

–aw <percent>

Specifies the percentage of used snapshot administration or snapshot data space that results in a

warning alert. A percent value of 0 disables the warning alert generation. The default is 0. This

option is deprecated and will be removed in a subsequent release.

Thanks

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I'd look to remove this it probably isn't doing what you expect

Why do you say that?  it looks like it is working exactly as designed.  When it exceeds 12,288 GiB, it gives an alert.

> these alerts are being removed soon:  From CLI Ref guide 3.2.1 page 99 - createcpg:  –aw <percent>

This has been removed from 3.2.1 MU2.  But why do you think this is -aw instead of the supported "–sdgw <size>"?

ACHCHGUY
Frequent Advisor

Warning levels are just that and the only time warning levels are bad is with AO luns as the AO lun will shift data from one cpg in the AO set to another in the AO set when it hits the warning level.

SO if using AO be careful.

We had this happen to us...basically forgot about the warning level until we passed it and a lot of Hot blocks moved to tier 2 nearline Disks...not a happy day.

On ordinary cpg's not in an AO set this is not an issue just increase the warning level...remove or add more Disks if you wish to retain a warning level to remind you when to buy Disks as we do now.