1748218 Members
4431 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 3PAR File Persona and multiple IP subnets

markmajor
Occasional Visitor

3PAR File Persona and multiple IP subnets

I'm trying to configure the file persona for both CIFS and NFS, of which both reside in different IP subnets / vlans.  I have configured the File Persona management IP addresses and the global subnet mask, default gateway which all happen to be in the CIFS subnet.  I have then created a CIFS server and everything works fine.  However, when I create an NFS server, which resides in a different vlan, I don't get any connectivity to it, presumably because there is no gateway associated to that network.  The switch ports are configured as trunk ports with both the CIFS and NFS server vlans tagged.

So the question is, is this supported?  If so, what needs to be done.  I assume it is as when creating virtual file servers you are given the option to put in the vlan ID.

Some thoughts from me are can the Controllers be assigned multiple management IP addresses (1 per IP subnet) and multiple gateways?  Can the physical ports be split, for example 2 ports from 1 controller and 2 ports from the 2nd controller used for CIFS, and the other 2 ports on each controller used for NFS?

For reference, we have a 7450c, however only Controller Nodes 2/3 have got the quad port 1Gb file persona network card installed.

Thanks,

Mark

5 REPLIES 5
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

The earliest place I can see to put a VLAN tag is on a Virtual File Server.

It looks like you simply need a second VFS. Either create a new File Provisioning Group, or have it use the existing FPG.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

markmajor
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Sheldon.  The issue is not with creating the VFS, its the IP subnet the VFS is in.  If it is not in the same IP subnet to that of the File Persona management interfaces, then there is no way to route to it, as there is no place to put in a default gateway (that I can see).

Eddy Hutson

Hello Mark,

It is possible to configure File Persona to correctly route traffic when the VLANs reside on different IP Subnets with different gateways.

The rp_filter needs to be modified to make this work. I am currently writing a whitepaper that support will be able to use to modify this value. Would you please log a service call with HP and request with the support personel that they route the call to the SERT File Persona team and have the call assigned to Don.

I will work with Don to get the rp_filter modified.

Cheers!

Eddy Hutson

markmajor
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Eddy, thats great news.

I've asked for the Support Call to be assigned to that team, not sure whether it has been done yet.

Will this document be available to Partners?

Also, do you know of any other documentation that is available that specifically relates to the network options / configuration options available, there does not seem to be anything publically available?

If you need me to I can provide you with the Support Case number if it doesn't get transferred as requested.

Regards,

Mark

GPSSA_JH
Occasional Visitor

Hi Eddy - is this information still correct, that a service call is required to modify rp_filter to allow for VFS on different subnet than mgmt node?