108759 Solutions
New Discussion

3PAR Virtual copy snapshot best practice

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rajtech1
Occasional Contributor

3PAR Virtual copy snapshot best practice

One of the storage tasks  in my plate is to setup an HP 3PAR 7440c all flash array for SAN (FC) and setup snapshots. what are the best practices in setting up the snaps. Reading the best practices guide, but still needs some questions answered.

1. The array has 90 EFDs and we r planning to apply RAID5 (8+1) while creating Logical Disk's and create a single CPGs for TPVVs. For setting up snaps, is it recommended to put it on same CPG or seperate CPG ? What should be the LD Raid type (R10??) if we have to put it on seperate CPG?  Even if the snaps are on seperate CPG, it is again going to reside on the same shared spindles correct ? So just for reporting reasons and logically diving the snapshots from user-data-CPG do I need to have a seperate CG setup for snaps?

2. Also this thread catch my attention. so if I have a 100GB LUN with 80GB space is consumed and a snap is setup, the snap space will be another 80GB ? making the total consumed space in the backend as 160GB ?? Is this even true ?

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-3PAR-StoreServ-Storage/Snapshots/m-p/6108323/highlight/true#M759

3. Is there any LUN off sets I need to use on the FC hosts side for performance reasons like iwhat was recommended for EMC storage arrays ? Is there any kind of FC Host connectivity guide for 3 PAR storage arrays?

I've only EMC SAN backgroup and is totally new to HP/3PAR stroages, so please correct me if I misunderstood some technologies here.

thanks in advnace !

Raj

3 REPLIES 3
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: 3PAR Virtual copy snapshot best practice

Hi Raj.

With a single drive type, having a second (snap) CPG is mainly for reporting and managing the amount of storage consumed by the virtual copies.

The thread you mentioned in "2" pertains to fully-provisioned volumes. You want to have your volumes Thin.

There are HP 3PAR <your-OS-here> Implementation Guides for all OSes supported on the HP 3PAR StoreServ. What operating systems do you have?

Note: While I work for HP, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Rajtech1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the quick response Sheldon.

Regarding point #2, seeking some more clarifications, so If I have a 100GB TPVVs and 80GB of data present on the Thin LUN and I setup a first snap. What will be the size of the first snap if I view the snap immediately. 80GB or ~0-1GB ?

Instead of Thin, if I had provisioned the LUN as fully provisioned FPVVs, then only the first snap will appear as 80GB ?

Thanks for pointing me the right direction to host connectivity guides. I found the "Disk Alignment" information for Linux hosts, looks like no alignment is needed for Windows 2k8/2k12 servers (diskpart) ?

many thanks!

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>What will be the size of the first snap if I view the snap immediately. 80GB or ~0-1GB?

The latter, very small, since nothing has changed yet.

>if I had provisioned the LUN as fully provisioned FPVVs, then only the first snap will appear as 80GB?

Again, very small.

1570 big_full   cpvv base  ---      1570 RW  256  512 81920  81920
1572  big_sv_02 snp  vcopy big_full 1570 RW   --   --    --  81920
1567 big_snap   tpvv base  ---      1567 RW  256  512   512  81920
1569  big_sv_01 snp  vcopy big_snap 1567 RW   --   --    --  81920