we need to find a way to connect the 3par wir RJ45 connections

Note : all the  4 servers have network/iscsi cards

6 REPLIES 6
veeyarvi
HPE Pro

Re: 3par 8200 iscsi connection

Hello Issa Halasa,

What is the switch model? 

You normally need Converged switches for such connectivites.

HPE SAN Design reference guide might help you in disigning your network - https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c00403562

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
issa halasa
Occasional Advisor

yes you are right but we want to use cheepest way not affecting the performance , so is it a way to use cabling method conversion rather that converged switches or media device converters

HPSDMike
HPE Pro

The only supported way to connect this 3PAR via iSCSI is by using supported "host adapters" with iSCSI abilities. You have these in the H6Z10A adapters which terminate as SFP+ LC optical connectors. 

So, I'm afraid you will need to find a way to connect these ports to your environment if you wish it to work. You can connect via optical cable as long as you have 10GB SR LC transceivers on the other side (switch). You can also take the transceivers out of the H6Z10A and use an SFP+ to SFP+ DAC cable to connect the 3PAR to network switch without using the optical transceivers. A list of supported DAC cables can be found in the quick specs.  https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04607918.pdf

If your current network switch doesn't have a mix of SFP+ (for 3PAR) and RJ45 (for hosts) ports then you could also consider purchasing a network switch that does. The HPE 5700 32XGT switch is an excellent option.

You cannot make this connection, in a supported manner, with some sort of cable adapter from RJ45 to SFP+. There are 10GB SFP+ to 10GB BaseT "media converters" on the market but these are not simple adapters. They are active electronics that perform conversion between disparate technologies. To my knowlegde, none are tested or approved for use with the 3PAR 8200. It would be a "use at your own risk" type of solution. It may work fine, it may not. 

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

GUPSAN
Occasional Visitor

below is my iscsi cabling info , I have 2 port 10Gbe CNA/FCoE card installed on 8200

Node 0 port 1 connected to IP switch 1

Node 1 Port 1 connected to IP switch 1

Node 0 port 2 connected to IP switch 2

Node 1 port 2 connected to IP switch 2

port 1 of both nodes in Vlan X

port 2 of both nodes in Vlan Y

Do I need to create a LACP on IP switches to support port redudency.

Mahesh202
HPE Pro

Hi GUPSAN

Thank you for coming on HPE Comunity forums.

Persistent ports will work.

I would suggest you to kindly refer to HPE 3PAR StoreServ Persistent Ports Technical paper using the below mentioned link.

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-4545ENW.pdf

Hope this helps !!

Thanks
Mahesh202

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

And from everything I've seen and read, LACP gets in the way of multipathing. Don't use LACP.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo