1748196 Members
2676 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 3par clone vs renaming lunid

3parcraze
Visitor

3par clone vs renaming lunid

Our goal is to change the lunid of the disk. So what is the efficient way to do? create a new lun and clone with the lunid we want or rename the lunid with uuid?

6 REPLIES 6
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

We need to clarify what you want:

The LUN of the virtual volume? Stop applications, removevlun, createvlun with desired number, start applications.
Change the volume WWN? Stop applications, removevlun, setvv -wwn <newWWN>, createvlun, start applications.
In either case, plan ahead creating the commands using your favorite text editor. The command line will minimize the time needed to make the change.
Or something else?

Cloning makes a separate virtual volume with a copy of all the data, so it's typically not the efficient way. ЁЯШЙ

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

3parhpux
Visitor

on 3par lunid is 100, so we want to change to 1000.

Two options:

Option 1) stop application, unmount the disk on OS with lunid 100, unexport lun on 3par, change lunid with setvv -udid, export, scan on OS, the will see the changed lunid as 1000

Option 2) Clone lun 100 to 1000 on 3par, and remove lun with id 100 and then scan on os, new lun with id 1000 finds, and to remove the lun with id 100 reboot is required.

So the question is, which approach is an efficient way.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Stop application,
unmount the disk on OS with LUN 100,
unexport volume on 3PAR,
export volume specifying LUN 1000,
scan on OS, they will see the changed LUN as 1000

The UDID has nothing to do with the Logical Unit Number (LUN).

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

3parcraze
Visitor

My question is, Is renaming the lunIds is a better method or copying the exisiting lun to get the new lunId is better option?

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

There is no rename.
You remove the VLUN and then re-create the VLUN with the desired LUN ID. That takes a minute or less with the GUI. And just seconds if using the command line.

Copying the LUN will take time. Depending on how much data and the device type of the CPG, hours or days. And you still have to remove the VLUN and then re-create the VLUN with the desired LUN ID using the new volume.. Which also required all the necessary extra storage.

Accept or Kudo

3parhpux
Visitor

Exactly, I knew this, but wanted to check in the forum. Thank you!