5387 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 3PAR reclaim storage space after deletion of VV

mammadshah
Advisor

3par reclaim stroage space after deletion of VV

3par-usage-1.PNG3par-usage-1.PNGHi,

We have HP-3PAR F400 with upgraded firmware 3.1.2 P04, P05. we had thinly provisioned volumes exported to Windwos Server 2008-R2 and some to VMware 5.5. the space on NL drives get full nearly 93% . so we migrated more then 10TB from F400 to anohter storage.

After this i have un-exported the voulmes from storage and then deleted these volumes from IMC. running the compactcpg i was expecting the reclaim space from the storage as volumes are deleted and executed the compactcpg.

but things wont worked as expected even i have opened the support case with HP 3par. they took 3 hours and then asked for logs but is this the solution ?

The point i want to highlight that , when i select "Systems" and then Array_Name from IMC the usage of NL dirves are about 93%, if I select "Provisioning" and the select Array_Name the usage is about 54%.

do i have space ?, i have deleted 10TB from last 4 days ? where it gone ? on which view should i plan to get upgrade (provisioning or System).

If systems under IMC is correct then where is 10TB capcity which i deleted 4 days back >

thanks, .

4 REPLIES 4
mammadshah
Advisor

Re: 3par reclaim stroage space after deletion of VV

HI

After a day 3par team provided a solution:

Execulte Sdelete and VMware commands to reclaim the space

Very funny ..................

I infomed them several time, the volume has been unexpored from the windows & Vmware hosts and after that delted from 3par IMC. how do i execute these commands on a volume that is not availbe to the server.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: 3PAR reclaim storage space after deletion of VV

>select "Systems" and then Array_Name from IMC the usage of NL drives are about 93%, if I select "Provisioning" and the select Array_Name the usage is about 54%.

You might want to try the CLI and see what it says.

Hate2Register
Occasional Advisor

Did you manage to solve this situation? We aswell deleted 5 Virtual Volumes containing around 8TB of data. We couldnt reclaim any of this space until now. Ran compactcpg, tunesys and remove_expired_vvs commands. Nothing helped.

Im glad, you posted this on the forum even after opening a case with HP.

Regards,

Mario

Hate2Register
Occasional Advisor

We actually opened up a case with HP on that topic. Their answer was, that the firmware we are using (3.2.1 MU2) does not show the free space correctly on deduped CPG's. But there is a garbage collector on the system reclaiming space. This task does have a very low priority and resourceallocation. So it frees up arround 4GB every 15min on our SSD only system. We calculated that it will take arround 20 days to free up our 8TB of deleted volumes. Nothing of this will be shown on the GUI though.

You can check the actual utilisation by loggin on the cli with you 3paradm user and running following command:

setclienv showsysobjs 1

showvv -s

Interesting is the number under

---Usr---

---(MB)---

Used

You should see this value decreasing after some time. You can check if there is still space beeing freed up on the log by typing:

showeventlog -debug -oneline -msg freed -min 120

The Update 3.2.2 should fix the problem with the wrong storageutilisation in the gui. Hope i could help somone else having a similar issue. Unfortunnately there isnt much practical (no manuals) information for 3par on the internet.