1748024 Members
4301 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 7200 Array Default IP?

Abstraction
Occasional Advisor

7200 Array Default IP?

I'm getting ready to set up a StoreServe 7200 with a physical SP.  I'm looking at the documentation and it has me hooking a laptop up to the SP's networking port 1, configuring the laptop to a 192.168.0.2 address, and going to the setup webpage at 192.168.0.100.  So I'm guessing that the SP's default IP is 192.168.0.100.  It has me assign a permanent IP at this point.  

This is all well and good so far, but then we move on to setting up the storage system.  The documentation says in its prereq section to make sure that the SP and the storage array are on the same network.  I just assigned the SP a new IP.  I have NO idea what IP the storage array has, so how can I ensure they are on the same network?  Sure they will be in the same switch.  We don't have DHCP in this environment.  There was no network setup of the array prior to this step, so it would be in whatever factory default configuration is.

Did I miss a step where I do the network setup for the storage array?  I thought that was later when we run the storage system setup wizard, but the SP has to discover the system on the network before we can run that.  Chicken and the egg situation.  If by on the same network, they just mean in the same broadcast domain...then I think I'm good.

I have found a blog out there that describes connecting to the MFG port with the console user to setup the network using an undocumented secret password (that I found).  This can't be the official method of setting up the network since it requires an account that they don't even document.  I also don't have anything with a serial port in this environment to setup that connection.

So in the end my question is, what is the factory default network settings on a 7200 array?  How can I ensure that my SP will discover it on the network if I customize the SP's address as the documentation tells me to?  Is having them on the same broadcast domain sufficient?  Also IтАЩm assuming this discovery process is happening over the Ethernet ports.

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The array has a default special IP address based on the serial no.

So if you tell the SP the StoreServe serialno. during setup, it is aware of the array IP address.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Abstraction
Occasional Advisor

That explains it thank you.  It really means when they say "same network" they mean "same broadcast domain" since those IPs will be on different subnets (SP with cusotmized IP and array with default IP).  I was probably overthinking this, but these systems are in a datacenter that is very hard to get physical access to, so I try to go in armed with as much information as possible.

I was able to discover the array and it is birthing now.  Thank you for your reply.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

> they mean "same broadcast domain"

Yes, same subnet.