108760 Solutions
New Discussion

7400 4-node zoning

SOLVED
Go to solution
Soeren Emig
Valued Contributor

7400 4-node zoning

I guess this subject has been discussed to great length but there is a lot of inconsistency about the subject in blogs and official documentation.
We have a 3PAR 7400 4-node with 2-HBA in each node. The hosts have 2-port HBA connected to fabric A and B.

My own conclusion is as following:

1: Use Single Initiator -> Single Target zoning

2: FC cabling from each Node: port 1 -> Fabric A | port 2 -> Fabric B

3: The 2-port HBAs in a vSphere hosts should be zoned to a single node-pair (no need to connect to all nodes). The following host is then flipped to the other node-pair to balance the load (There is some inconsistency out there – some say that one shall zone to all four nodes)

4: The node ports from a host’s zoning should be mirrored across nodes to support HP 3PAR Persistent Ports. 

Example:
Host1 HBA port1 -> 0:1:1 and 1:1:1 | Host1 HBA port2 -> 0:1:2 and 1:1:2
Host2 HBA port1 -> 2:1:1 and 3:1:1 | Host2 HBA port2 -> 2:1:2 and 3:1:2
Host3 HBA port1 -> 0:1:1 and 1:1:1 | Host3 HBA port2 -> 0:1:2 and 1:1:2

/Søren Emig

1 REPLY 1
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: 7400 4-node zoning

That is currently in alignment with what we are recommending as Best Practices.

("HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage best practices guide" whitepaper - 4AA4-4524ENW)

While "Single Initiator -> Single Target zoning" is described as Best Practice, it is perfectly acceptable to use "Single Initiator -> Single Device zoning" -- zones with one host HBA port and both ports of one 3PAR. (Refer to the latest HP 3PAR Implementation Guide for VMware.)

Bear in mind we strongly recommend no more than 64 paths to any 3PAR host-facing port. So for a hypervisor host, four (4) total paths are good, and for most standalone hosts, two paths (one from each fabric) are sufficient.

Note: While I work for HP, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.

----------

If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! "White Star" !

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo