1748170 Members
3955 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Allocation limit on TPVV

jruffer
Trusted Contributor

Allocation limit on TPVV

Is it possible to put an allocation limit on a Thinly Provisioned Virtual Volume?

In settings I can see Allocation Limit <Disabled> but can't see a way to enable and set a limit.

Jeremy

11 REPLIES 11
Mark Smithers
Regular Advisor

Jeremy,

I never seen the "enabled" box greyed out and I can't find anything at all to control it.  Have you spoken to HP about this?  Would be interesting to know why it's greyed out.

As an alternative, try using SSMC version 2.2 to see if that works.  Don;t go for 2.3 as there are issues with Virtual Volumes in that version.

Cheers

Mark

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

While it is possible to set an allocation limit, it is not recommended as a Best Practice. Instead use Allocation Warning. Personally, I have yet to see a good Use Case for allocation limits.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

jruffer
Trusted Contributor

Hi Mike,

It's not greyed out, it isn't there.

What is SSMC?

Jeremy

jruffer
Trusted Contributor

Hi Sheldon,

The event that prompted the question was that a bad query on a database used 1.5 TB more than the VV would normally use. This caused other systems to run out of space.  This is still causing us problems nearly 3 weeks later.

If we could set it so that they got No space on device earlier then we would not have the problem.

Regards

Jeremy

jruffer
Trusted Contributor

I found it after I ticked Show advanced options.

Jeremy

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

SSMC is the StoreServ Management Console software. It replaces the older (InForm) Management Console. SSMC runs as a Windows service / Linux daemon and it's accessed via browser.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Is it possible to put an allocation limit on a TPVV?

By setting the max size smaller?

jruffer
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I would like the system to give the "no space on device" error earlier.

The size of the TPVV was intended to allow for at least 3 years growth, we don't want it getting that big yet.

jruffer
Trusted Contributor

There is a tick box for Allow stale snapshots.  What are the implications of unticking this?

Jeremy