New Discussion юеВ

Re: Allow stale snapshots

SOLVED
Go to solution
jruffer
Trusted Contributor

Allow stale snapshots

What is this for?

If the snapshot is invalid what's the point in keeping it?

Jeremy

4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Where are you seeing this choice?

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

It's not that the snapshot is useless, it's a question of 'do we allow snapshots to possibly be useless'?

The virtual volume policy choices are:

• stale_ss -- Specifies that invalid snapshot volumes are permitted. Failure to update snapshot data does not affect the write to the base volume, but the snapshot is considered invalid. This is the default policy setting.
  • no_stale_ss -- Specifies that invalid snapshot volumes are not permitted. Failure to update a snapshot is considered a failure to write to the base volume.

You've run out of storage: Do you accept that you may have junk snapshots, or is having valid snapshots critical and it would be preferable for the application to halt?

Note: While I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.

----------

If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

jruffer
Trusted Contributor

It's in Policies & Geometry of Edit Virtual Volume after you have ticked Show Advanced Options.

jruffer
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Sheldon.